The perfect baked potato is just a few simple steps away. Follow this easy method for how to bake a potato and get fluffy, flavorful baked potatoes every time!
Best Basic Baked Potatoes
This recipe may seem a little… well… basic. Everyone knows how to bake a potato, right? But it’s a good one to know! You know how sometimes when you make homemade baked potatoes they end up kind of gummy and they aren’t soft and fluffy on the inside? Follow this simple method and you’ll never have that problem again.
Time to Toss the Tinfoil
No need to wrap your potatoes with aluminum foil anymore! Skip that pesky step and instead rub the skin with olive oil and kosher salt. This process will create a buttery crisp exterior and ensure fluffy freshness inside.
How Long To Bake a Potato
A good rule of thumb is about an hour at 350 degrees for a perfect baked potato. However, if you’re baking more than four at a time, increase your baking time by about ten to 15 minutes for ever few additional potatoes.
Potatoes are Good For You!
Don’t let the low-carb craze scare you away from a good potato dinner. They’re actually very good for you! Here’s why:
- Potatoes have more potassium than a banana.
- They’re high in fiber, so potatoes in your diet can help lower cholesterol and decrease your risk of heart disease.
- Potatoes are chock full of Vitamin C and Vitamin B6.
- Plus, they’re quite delicious!
More Potato Side Dishes
Potatoes are so versatile and go well with many meats and vegetables. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Pesto Potatoes – These diced potatoes are coated in pesto and roasted to perfection. So easy and packed with flavor!
- Roasted Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts – Another easy side dish! The bacon adds a tasty dimension – a must try!
- Roasted Red Caesar Potatoes – Red pepper, Caesar salad dressing, and Parmesan cheese flakes give these potatoes a unique Italian zest.
- Grilled Foil Ranch Potatoes – These potatoes are great in the summer. Throw them on the grill at your next BBQ. The packets can be loaded with bacon, ham, onions, peppers, and/or cheese. The clean-up is so easy!
- Parmesan Baked Potato Halves – This is one of the most popular recipes on our site. The potato halves are cooked in butter and Parmesan cheese giving the potatoes a crispy, flavorful topping.
- More Delicious Potato Recipes – Here is a full list of our most popular potato recipes as chosen by YOU, our readers!
How to Bake a Potato (the RIGHT way)
- 1 large Russet potato
- 1 teaspoon oil vegetable or canola oil
- Kosher salt to taste
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and position racks in top and bottom thirds.
- Wash potato (or potatoes) thoroughly with cold water. Dry well
- Using a fork, poke 8 to 12 deep holes all over the potato.
- Place in a bowl and coat lightly with oil.
- Sprinkle with kosher salt and place potato directly on the rack in the middle of oven.
- Place a baking sheet on the lower rack to catch any drippings.
- Bake 1 hour or until skin feels crisp but flesh beneath feels soft.
- Serve by creating a dotted line from end to end with your fork, then crack the potato open by pushing the ends towards one another. The potato will be hot and steamy so be careful!
- NOTE: If you're cooking more than 4 potatoes, you'll need to extend the cooking time by up to 15 minutes.