This Margherita Grilled Cheese Sandwich is loaded with mozzarella cheese and sweet tomatoes and basil pesto all on sourdough bread. Not your ordinary grilled cheese sandwich!
Margherita Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Grilled cheese sandwiches are a highly requested lunchtime favorite, especially during summer months when the kids are at home. Personally I get tired of boring grilled cheese, so I decided to create my own, fancier version: the Grown Up Margherita Grilled Cheese Sandwich! The combination of crisp sourdough bread, soft mozzarella, savory pesto and sweet balsamic vinegar topped with juicy tomatoes is like a party for my taste buds! Plus it’s a delicious way to use up garden tomatoes during the summer. Grilled cheese is not just for kids anymore!
Tips for the Perfect “Grown Up” Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- I highly recommend investing in a good bottle of aged balsamic. I recently purchased a REALLY good balsamic and it is amazing the difference between it and the cheap stuff. An aged balsamic is almost like a balsamic reduction, it comes out more thick like a syrup. The taste is incredible and it will last you a really long time!
- If you can’t find a good thick aged balsamic, you can easily make a balsamic reduction. Just take regular balsamic vinegar and pour desired amount into a small sauce pan. Add about a tablespoon of honey per one cup balsamic vinegar. Simmer and stir until the mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat and cool.
- Fresh is best! Use fresh mozzarella cheese, fresh tomatoes and fresh bread. It always makes the best sandwich. If you don’t love sourdough bread, thick slices of French bread, Italian bread or even our Honey Whole Wheat bread tastes delicious too.
- You can make your own pesto using our Fresh Homemade Basil Pesto recipe, or buy your favorite brand at the grocery store.
- I like to pile my grilled cheese sandwich high with spicy arugula lettuce, but you can use any lettuce you have on hand.
What to Serve with a Grilled Cheese Lunch
My kids love apple slices and carrot sticks with their grilled cheese sandwiches, but since we’re keeping this lunch a little more “grown up” try a few of these delicious side dishes to round out your meal:
- Pizza Pasta Salad
- Easy Vinegar Marinated Cucumbers
- Mandarin Spinach Salad with Candied Pecans
- Grilled Caesar Salad
- Olive Garden Pasta E Fagioli Soup
- Cafe Zupas Tomato Basil Soup
How to Make Margherita Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Butter one side of two slices of sourdough. Place one of the slices of bread in a fry pan over medium heat.
- Layer with sliced mozzarella, then a thin spread of pesto, then sliced tomatoes. I also like to salt and pepper my tomatoes.
- Put on the top slice of bread and grill both sides until toasty.
- Remove to a plate and open the sandwich to add the arugula tossed in some balsamic. Put sandwich back together and enjoy!
- Electric Griddle