This Cafe Zupas Tomato Basil Soup Copycat is one of my very favorite fall soups. It is super simple to make and can easily be made in the slow cooker!
This copycat recipe of Cafe Zupas Tomato Basil Soup is my favorite tomato soup, hands-down. It is so rich and creamy and just plain delicious. This is the perfect soup to have with a grilled cheese sandwich. I may be weird, but I love dipping a grilled cheese sandwich in tomato soup. You have to try it! It is comfort food at it’s best.
If you have any garden tomatoes left, this is a great way to use them up. You can just substitute fresh diced tomatoes instead of the store-bought canned tomatoes. You will want to stew them first, like in the recipe HERE. If you have some garden tomatoes already canned from earlier in the season it will be even better. Trust me, it tastes SO GOOD with garden tomatoes. If you want to keep things really fresh, feel free to make your own homemade pesto as well. We have a fabulous recipe HERE and it makes the perfect amount. If you are in a hurry and have some store-bought pesto on hand, that works, too. Just do what you have time and energy for.
If you want to make this a slow cooker recipe, instead of simmering the soup the first time (before blending), throw it in a slow cooker on low for at least 4 hours. The longer you let it simmer, the better it will be. Throw it back in after blending for another hour or so. You really can’t go wrong with this recipe! Enjoy!
How to make our version of Cafe Zupas Tomato Basil Soup
Cafe Zupas Tomato Basil Soup
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- 1 c chicken broth
- 3 14.5 oz cans stewed tomatoes (or about 5-6 c. tomatoes, stewed or diced.. click HERE)
- 2/3 c. pesto recipe HERE or store-bought is ok too
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 c. heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large soup pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic and saute until veggies become soft and clear. Stir in the flour and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Pour in chicken broth, whisking constantly.
- Add tomatoes and bring to a boil, stirring often. Stir in pesto, oregano and sugar and reduce heat. Simmer for 30 minutes. (If using a slow cooker, add the sauteed veggies and ingredients above to a slow cooker and cook on low at least 4 hours... see note above)
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Working in batches, blend the soup in a blender until smooth.
- Return to pot and heat over medium heat. Whisk in heavy cream and add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Garnish with Parmesan cheese and serve.
More Tasty Soup Recipes
Soup is a staple in the cold-weather months. Here are some more of our favorite soup recipes:
- Lasagna Soup: This is a tomato-based soup but it is loaded with noodles and meatballs. It is topped with a creamy cheese mix that gives it the delicious flavors of lasagna.
- Creamy Tomato Basil Soup with Sausage: Another tomato-based soup with sausage and seasonings that give it a rich and hearty flavor.
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice Soup: Chicken and Rice Soup warms you up on cold fall and winter days. It is also ideal for busy days. The ingredients go into the Slow Cooker in the morning and a nice, hot meal awaits in the evening.
- Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup: There are so many different vegetables in this Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup. It is very healthy and hearty.
- Creamy Butternut Squash Soup: A rich, sweet, and savory soup that is delicious in the fall. It is topped with croutons and roasted pecans.
- Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef Soup: This is one of the easiest soups you will ever make. It is filled with flavorful meat and vegetables. Everyone loves it!