This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
Everybody loves milkshakes — and as it turns out, it’s not hard to make them at home. We’ll show you how to make the best milkshake with a few simple ingredients.
How to Make a Milkshake
Is there anything better than a cold, creamy, smooth, sweet milkshake? It is one of my favorite desserts. Whether you love fruity treats, chocolate treats, or a combination, there is a milkshake flavor for you. You might think that you can only enjoy a milkshake at a burger joint or an ice cream shop. However, with this recipe you can have a delicious milkshake any time you’d like right at home!
For the most basic milkshake recipe you only need two ingredients: ice cream and milk. It really is that easy! However, on top of that, there are a million different combinations. See below for all of our mix in and topping ideas. You want to use good quality ice cream and whole milk. Of course the store brand will work, but the high quality brands will give you an even creamier, dreamier treat.
Milkshake Mix-ins and Toppings
There are so many possibilities when you are making a milkshake. My kids love to try all kinds of flavor combos. If you have any favorite milkshake flavors, then let us know in the comments below!
Mix-ins go in the blender with the ice cream and milk. You can also stir them in after the milkshake is blended.
- Chocolate Syrup
- Caramel Syrup
- Strawberry Syrup
- Oreo Cookies
- Peanut Butter
- Coconut Flakes
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups
- Mint Extract
After you’ve made your drink and poured it into a tall glass, then add your delicious toppings!
- Whipped Cream
- Crushed Oreos
- Caramel Sauce
- Chocolate Sauce
- Maraschino Cherries
If you need some combination ideas, then check out some of our favorites below.
- Chocolate – vanilla ice cream, chocolate syrup, topped with whipped cream, chocolate shavings, and Maraschino cherries
- Cookies and Cream – vanilla or chocolate ice cream, Oreo cookies, topped with whipped cream and crumbled Oreo cookies
- Pina Colada – vanilla ice cream, coconut flakes, and pineapple, topped with whipped cream and Maraschino cherries
- Banana Berry – vanilla ice cream, banana, raspberries, and blueberries
- Chunky Monkey – chocolate ice cream, banana, peanut butter, peanuts
- Reese’s – chocolate ice cream, Reese’s peanut butter cups
- Grasshopper – vanilla ice cream, Oreo cookies, mint extract
If you want the best at-home milkshake, then you need to use good ingredients. Use a good quality ice cream and whole milk.
Yes, you can! You can use an immersion blender, a food processor, or a good old-fashioned whisk.
You can thicken your milkshake a couple of ways. You can blend it for a shorter time, you can use less milk, or you can add ice.
For a thinner milkshake, blend the ingredients longer or use a little bit more milk.
More Ice Cream Treats
If you love our milkshake recipe, then you’ve got to try some of our other ice cream recipes!
- Fried Ice Cream Cake – This fried ice cream cake is an easy but also decadent frozen dessert. You will love the sweet and crunchy corn flake topping!
- Raspberry Almond Fudge Ice Cream Cake – Raspberry Almond Fudge Ice Cream Cake is a sweet cold and creamy dessert. It’s also loaded with chopped almonds, fresh raspberries, and chocolate fudge swirls.
- Banana Ice Cream – Banana ice cream is a healthy frozen treat that is almost too good to be true. Why eat a plain banana when you can make it into ice cream or a milkshake?
- Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream – This Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream is so sweet and creamy. There is nothing like cold homemade ice cream on a hot day summer day.
- Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches – Homemade ice cream sandwiches are one of the easiest summer treats to make! Find out our secret to making them perfect every time.
- Pink Lemonade Ice Cream Cake – Pink Lemonade Ice Cream Pie is the perfect tart, cold, creamy summer treat that is easy to prepare and always a favorite. Only three ingredients!
- Deceptively Easy Ice Cream Cake – This Deceptively Easy Ice Cream Cake is made with ice cream sandwiches, whipped cream, fudge, and caramel. A simple yet also scrumptious dessert!
How to Make a Milkshake
How to Make a Milkshake
- 1 1/2 cup ice cream
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- mix-ins if desired
- whipped cream
- Maraschino cherries with stems
- Place ice cream, milk, and mix-ins if using in the blender.
- Blend just until smooth and drinkable through a straw.
- Pour into a glass and add whipped cream, sprinkles, and Maraschino cherries.
Love this recipe?
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.
Love this recipe!! We are huge milkshake fans over here & they came out so good!
So fun to make for my kids, they were just like my grandma used to make me!
My daughter used this recipe to make us some strawberry milkshakes. She had so much fun, and they were delicious! Her favorite part was adding the cream and sprinkles on top. 🙂