Banana ice cream is a healthy frozen treat that is almost too good to be true. Why eat a plain banana when you can make it into ice cream?
Banana Ice Cream
I have recently discovered banana ice cream and it is my new favorite treat. And the best part? My kids LOVE it too! It is the perfect guilt-free, low-sugar summer snack. My kids could eat this all day and never even know it’s not “real” ice cream. I’m not even a big fan of bananas and I love it. The banana flavor isn’t overpowering at all (especially when you add some mix-ins). It turns out smooth, creamy, and delicious every time. JUST like ice cream!
Is Banana Ice Cream Healthy?
Yes! This is considered a healthy snack because you are literally just eating a banana. It is a vegan, dairy-free, low calorie, high potassium snack. Plus, there are no added sugars!
Is Banana Ice Cream Keto?
Although this is a very healthy treat, it is not considered “Keto”. This is because bananas are naturally higher in carbohydrates and has a good amount of natural sugars.
Banana Ice Cream Ingredients
Banana ice cream is just one easy ingredient: bananas. Some like to add a little splash of vanilla or a splash of coconut milk (which is delicious), but honestly just one ingredient is all you need!
How to Make Banana Ice Cream
- Peel and slice bananas
- Put bananas in freezer until completely frozen (6-8 hours)
- Using a food processor, pulse until smooth like ice cream
- Serve as soft-serve or freeze until hard enough to scoop
Mix-In Ideas (7 variations)
There are so many way to take this easy ice cream up a notch. Eat it plain or try on of these variations (add as much as you would like, to taste):
- Frozen mango and pineapple
- Peanut butter and cocoa powder
- Frozen raspberries and cocoa powder
- Mixed berries or strawberries
- Pineapple and coconut milk (Pina colada)
- Vanilla and Oreo cookies (Cookies and cream)
Tips On Making Banana Ice Cream
- Freeze your bananas sliced. You can use whole frozen bananas but I have found it is hard on my food processor. It is much easier to blend up slices. Find more great tips on freezing bananas HERE.
- Use a food processor. I have a Blendtec blender and it works pretty well, but if you have a low-powered blender I wouldn’t recommend it. Even though I have a high-powered blender, I still like the food processor better.
- If it seems crumbly and isn’t smoothing out… keep blending! It will get smooth eventually, promise.
- Re-freeze after blending to make “scoop-able” ice cream
More Easy Frozen Summer Treat Ideas
One-Ingredient Banana Ice Cream
- Food Processor
- Peel and slice bananas into 1"-2" slices.
- Place banana slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze for 6-8 hours. You can prepare ice cream immediately or place bananas in a Ziplock freezer bag until ready to use.
- When ready to prepare ice cream, place frozen banana slices in a food processor (or high-power blender) and pulse until smooth and creamy. If it seems crumbly and not smoothing out, just keep blending. It will get there!
- Serve as soft-serve immediately or place in a freezer safe container and freeze for another 2-3 hours to scoop and serve.