This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
This easy recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup will be your new favorite. And thanks to the Instant Pot, it’s ready in under an hour.
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
This Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup is a great weeknight dinner, especially in the Fall and Winter. It is hearty, savory, and delicious! You won’t be searching for bits of noodle or shreds of chicken in this soup! Each spoonful has tender chicken, savory veggies, flavorful broth, and slurp-able noodles.
- Onion, Carrots, and Celery – This combination of savory vegetables is often called a mirepoix. Together, cooked in butter or olive oil, they create a base of flavor for the soup.
- Garlic – I love to add fresh garlic, but you can substitute with garlic powder or minced garlic from the jar.
- Chicken Breasts – Typically I use boneless skinless chicken breasts, but you can use chicken thighs as well. Just make sure to trim off any fat.
- Spices – For this recipe I like to use salt, pepper, oregano, thyme, bay leaves, and cayenne pepper. The cayenne pepper doesn’t make the soup spicy, it just adds a depth of flavor to the broth.
- Chicken Broth and Water – I like to use a mix of chicken broth and water since you are cooking the chicken in the liquid. If you use all chicken broth I think it comes out too salty.
- Egg Noodles – Use your favorite egg noodles, dried or frozen. We hear that people have good results with gluten free noodles in this recipe as well.
Can I Make This on the Stovetop?
Yes, if you don’t have an instant pot, then you can make this chicken noodle soup on the stove top. In a large stock pot, melt the butter and saute the carrots, celery, and onion. Add two cloves garlic and saute for another minute. Add chicken, broth, water, and spices. Bring to a boil and then turn the heat to medium low. Simmer until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Remove the chicken from the pot and shred. Set aside. Turn the heat back up and bring soup to a boil. Cook noodles until soft. Remove the bay leaves. Add chicken back in and stir everything together. You can also try our stovetop recipe for Grandma’s Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup.
I love to serve this soup with chopped fresh parsley. Not only does it look pretty, but it also adds a bright, fresh flavor to the soup. I have also added other fresh herbs like thyme, rosemary, and oregano with great results!
Frequently Asked Questions About Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. Leftovers will last up to a week in the refrigerator. You may have to add more chicken broth as the noodles will soak up the broth.
You could cook the noodles while the rest of the soup cooks in the Instant Pot. However, I think cooking the noodles in the broth with all the spices makes it taste better!
Yes! Don’t let the soup boil again once the chicken is cooked. This is why you remove the chicken from the pot, shred it, and set it aside while the noodles cook. If you leave the chicken in, then it will become too tough.
Read Next: 33+ Easy Lunch Ideas
More Instant Pot Soup Recipes
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Instant Pot (or Pressure Cooker)
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 3 medium carrots chopped
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 chicken breasts
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 ounces egg noodles
- fresh parsley optional garnish
- Set Instant Pot to Saute mode and add butter. When butter is melted, add carrots, celery, and onion. Cook until soft, stirring often. Add garlic and stir for an additional minute. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Add chicken, broth, water, and seasonings. Cover the Instant Pot with the lid and turn the valve to sealing. Cook on the Manual setting on high pressure for 7 minutes. When the timer goes off, let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes, then do a quick release. Remove the bay leaves.
- Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Set aside. Set the Instant Pot to Saute mode. When the soup is boiling, add the noodles. Cook until the noodles are soft, stirring often. When the noodles are soft, add the chicken back into the pot.
- Serve with fresh parsley.