Cheesy Potato Casserole, also known as funeral potatoes, is sure to please a crowd! You’ll love the tender potatoes, lots of cheese and a unique crunchy topping.
Cheesy Potato Casserole (Funeral Potatoes)
Cheesy Potato Casserole is better known to many as Funeral Potatoes, not because you only eat them at funerals, but because they’re a staple for feeding large groups of people. Nearly every church potluck dinner, large family gathering or, well, funeral luncheon I’ve ever attended features several pans of this cheesy potato dish alongside a ham, salad and rolls. There are dozens of variations to Funeral Potatoes, but this one is our tried and true. It’s been a family favorite for generations and it’s always devoured quickly. We make them every year for our Easter dinner as it goes perfectly with Easter ham and all the trimmings. No matter what you serve it with or where you serve it, you’ll absolutely love this potato casserole.
Crunchy Corn Flake Topping
It may sound strange to you, but I promise you will love it! Adding a couple of cups of crushed corn flakes gives this casserole a golden brown crust, a delightful crunch and a nutty, buttery flavor that goes so well with all the cheese and cream in the potatoes. Any brand of corn flakes will do.
Variations to Cheesy Potato Casserole
- Add finely diced onion (about half a cup) to your Funeral Potatoes for extra flavor. If you don’t like the crunch of onions, you can grate the onion too.
- Add cubed ham and add it straight to the potatoes for a delicious meaty meal.
- Mix bacon or diced chicken into the potatoes.
- Omit the crunchy corn flake topping and sprinkle with extra cheese.
- Cook up your own potatoes instead of using diced hash browns. You’ll need 6-8 good size potatoes for this recipe. Just peel and dice into bite size pieces and follow the rest of the instructions in the recipe card below.
- You can use shredded hash browns for a different texture too!
What to Serve with Funeral Potatoes
- Sweet Teriyaki Grilled Ham Steaks
- Easy Instant Pot Chicken Breasts
- Oven Roasted Green Beans
- Rosemary Tri-Tip Roast
- Lemon Pepper Chicken
More Perfect Potato Recipes
Hailing from Idaho, we know a thing or two about good potato recipes. Try a few of our very favorites!
- Parmesan Baked Potato Halves
- Twice Baked Potatoes
- Perfect Mashed Potatoes
- Creamed Potatoes and Peas
- Slow Cooker Au Gratin Potatoes and Ham
How to Make Cheesy Potato Casserole (Funeral Potatoes)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix hash browns, cheese, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
- Heat butter, soup, sour cream, and milk in a saucepan until butter is melted.
- Stir heated sauce into hash browns.
- Pour mixture into a 9x13 baking dish.
- Top with corn flakes and a little melted butter.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Conventional Oven
- 9 X 13 inch Pan