Twice Baked Potatoes are a real treat! Fluffy mashed potatoes, cheese and bacon stuffed into a baked potato shell. A perfect side dish or appetizer for any occasion!
Whether you’re looking for something to add to your holiday spread, your game day buffet, or a special side to jazz up a meatloaf dinner, these Twice Baked Potatoes are perfect! Light and cheesy potato filling baked into a crispy, buttery potato skin crust. They’re easy to make and fun to eat!
What are Twice Baked Potatoes?
This easy Twice Baked Potato recipe can be whipped up any night of the week! They take a little time but the process is so simple.
- Basically, you bake the potatoes.
- Then, scoop out the fluffy middle.
- Mix that potato with cheese, sour cream, bacon, anything you like!
- Next, scoop it back in the potato skins and bake again (hence, twice baked!)
What Kind of Potatoes Work Best for Twice Baked Potatoes?
A good Idaho Russet or baking potato holds up its shape best for this recipe, but you could probably use any you have on hand. Russets are great because of their fluffy interior and sturdy skin. Make sure the potatoes are hot when you’re mixing the cheese and sour cream in, as cold potatoes can get a little gummy.
Can Twice Baked Potatoes Be Made Ahead?
Yes! To make mealtime or holiday planning more simple, prepare these ahead of time and keep them in the refrigerator until time to heat and serve.
Can Twice Baked Potatoes Be Frozen?
Absolutely! Once the potatoes are baked, sliced, mixed and stuffed again, freeze them on a baking sheet. After they’re frozen solid you can store them in a Ziplock bag for up to two months. To bake, add an extra 20 minutes to the baking time.
How Long do Twice Baked Potatoes Stay Fresh?
If you refrigerate after baking, these easy potatoes will last two to three days in the refrigerator.
Are Twice Baked Potatoes Gluten Free?
You bet! Potatoes are naturally gluten-free, as are the toppings. So feel free to add this to any holiday or dinner table.
Can You Microwave Twice Baked Potatoes?
You can bake the potatoes in the microwave, but to get that extra crispy potato skin, opt for the oven for the second baking. You can use the microwave to reheat twice baked potatoes, though. Just warm them for about one minute and they’re good to go!
Crowd Favorite Appetizers
Looking for ideas to serve for your next party? Here are a few more of our favorites:
- Mushroom Swiss Roast Beef Sliders
- Pork and Veggie Potstickers
- 5-Minute Dill Pickle Dip
- Loaded Cheesy Potato Skins
- Blue Cheese Bombs
More Irresistible Potato Dishes
Potatoes are such a crowd favorite, and you can prepare them a million different ways. Try some of these delicious recipes:
- Roasted Potatoes with Brussels Sprouts
- Parmesan Garlic Grilled Potatoes
- Creamy Potatoes and Peas
- Grilled Foil Ranch Potatoes
- Pesto Potatoes
How to Make Twice Baked Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake potatoes for 1 hour.
- When Potatoes are cool, cut in half lengthwise. With a spoon, scoop out some of the potato, leaving about ¼ inch of potato inside the skin.
- Set aside the extra potato that was scooped out. Brush entire surface of each skin, inside and out, with butter. Place skins on cookie sheet, face up, and broil for 6-8 min.
- Use a potato masher to mix remaining potato, sour cream, cheese and bacon bits and scoop into the skins. Sprinkle shredded cheese and extra bacon bits over the tops.
- Broil for about 2 more minutes. Top with sour cream or ranch if desired.