These Cheesy Potato Cakes are to die for!!! I originally found a basic recipe for potato cakes in my Top Secret Recipes cookbook (It was the Claim Jumper appetizer, FYI. I made about 20 changes… but I will still give the proper credit to Todd Wilbur) and I thought I would try it out. I didn’t like the sauce that he used… so I made up my own! The sauce for this is killer, you definitely need to make it with the cakes! This is NOT difficult at all. If you take away the refrigeration time, you can probably make this in about 20 minutes.
- Boil potatoes for about 20-25 minutes until soft, but still a little firm. Do not overcook. As potatoes are boiling, combine sauce ingredients. Cover and chill.
- Drain potatoes and mash them with a potato masher (with skin ON). Don't mash into mashed potatoes, you still want some small chunks in it. Add remaining potato cake ingredients and mix well.
- Combine breadcrumbs and flour in a pie pan or large plate. In a separate bowl, combine eggs and milk. Get a good handful of the potato mixture and form it into a patty, about the size of a hamburger patty. Pat the potato mixture into the breadcrumb mixture, then dip into the milk and egg, then cover again with breadcrumbs.
- When the patty is completely covered with lots of breadcrumbs, place on a cookie sheet or large plate. Cover and chill for about an hour.
- Heat about 1 c. of vegetable oil in a large skillet. Pan fry the cakes on medium heat for about 2-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels then serve with the spicy-creamy sauce! Garnish with chopped green onion or chives.