These Apple Pie Caramel Apples from Disneyland are my new favorite treat! Can’t make it to Disney? Bring the magic to your kitchen with this easy recipe!
You are going to love these Disneyland Apple Pie Caramel Apples! But, first of all… Are you planning a Disneyland trip in the near future? Have we got an EXTRA treat for you! You can get a great deal from GET AWAY TODAY on your next trip. Think of it as a little gift from us here at Favorite Family Recipes!
I have to give credit to Nathan, one of my very best friends from college, for introducing me to these Apple Pie Caramel Apples. We were at Disneyland a few weeks ago and we were able to meet up with him and he was kind enough to buy us one of these. These Apple Pie Caramel Apples instantly became my new favorite Disneyland treat! I had to do a little bit of experimenting to get these right… first of all, you need to get good caramel. I tried a few different caramels… cheap-o caramel that I found in bulk (got too hard) and Kraft caramel bits. I liked the caramel bits much better. I also loved that I didn’t spend an hour unwrapping caramels. Yes, the bits are more expensive– but really it is worth it to me to spend a couple bucks more and not waste an hour of my life unwrapping.. but, again, that’s just me.
Next, you can either go with melted white chocolate chips or white chocolate melting chocolates. I liked them both ways. The melting chocolates seemed to get harder and chip off a little more but it all tasted the same.
Now for the “crust”. You can either use cinnamon flavored graham crackers or you can get an actual pre-made pie crust, add a little cinnamon and sugar and process it in a food processor. I am pretty sure Disneyland actually uses crust… but for me it was cheaper to do the graham crackers because I had some on had. I thought both ways tasted great.. I may have even preferred the graham cracker slightly more. It really depends on if you are dead-set on making them the authentic way or if you are willing to cut corners a little.
Now.. on to the recipe and then I will tell you more about our magical trip!
Disneyland’s Apple Pie Caramel Apples
- 4 large Granny Smith apples
- 5-6 c. caramels or appx. 1 bag Kraft Caramel bits--see above
- 7-8 cinnamon graham crackers or 1 prepared pie crust
- 1 1/2 lbs. melting chocolates or chocolate chips
- cinnamon and sugar to taste (appx 2 Tbsp sugar + 1/8 tsp. cinnamon)
- 8 large marshmallows optional.. only if you want to make "ears"
- Scrub apples and dry with a dishcloth or paper towel. This is to get the wax coating off (if you REALLY want to get the wax off, drop them in boiling water for a few seconds and wipe dry).
- Refrigerate apples for a few hours until they are nice and cold.
- Melt caramel in the microwave (in a micvrowave-safe dish) for 30 seconds at a time until caramel is nice and melted or follow directions on package if using the Bits. If you are using un-wrapped caramels you can also put the caramels in a small crock pot on high heat until melted.
- Place caramel apple sticks or popsicle sticks into the top of each apple and dip each apple into the caramel until fully coated, rotating the apple as needed. Let excess caramel drip off and them place on wax paper. Refrigerate at least 2-3 hours until caramel is completely cooled onto the apples.
- In a food processor, process graham crackers (or pie crust) until well blended. If doing a pie crust, add a little cinnamon and sugar to the mixture. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- Melt chocolate in a microwave-safe dish in the microwave until chocolate is just melted and there are no lumps. Dip each apple in the chocolate and allow chocolate to set up for a few seconds. When chocolate has set a little, roll the bottom half in processed graham cracker crumbs (or crust). Sprinkle entire apple with cinnamon and sugar and set aside.
- Optional: Once the chocolate on the apples have set, roll each marshmallow in the chocolate and place on the apples to make "ears". Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar and hold in place until set.
Get Away Today
Ok now onto the fun part— a few weeks ago I wrote about booking our Disneyland trip with GET AWAY TODAY. Well, we went on our trip and it was AMAZING to say the least. I love Disneyland but this was my first time taking one of our kids and it made it even BETTER!
It was all-around magical. My 2-year-old had stars in her eyes the whole time. She loved all the rides, the atmosphere, the parades, the fireworks, the princesses. Everything was perfect and she hasn’t stopped talking about Disneyland since we have been home. There are SO many cool new things at Disneyland/California Adventure since I was last there.. they had the World of Color show (which was INCREDIBLE), Radiator Springs and the Racer’s ride (my new favorite ride), Ariel’s Adventure ride (which my daughter wanted to ride over and over), and my daughter’s personal favorites: Fantasy Faire and Pixie Hollow at Disneyland (I am telling you, she was in heaven).
GET AWAY TODAY helped us so much with our trip! They found us a hotel /park package deal which included a shuttle with Karmel Shuttles from LAX to our hotel and then transportation every day from the hotel to the park. We didn’t have to worry about a THING– which was so nice! I would have been so stressed out if I was booking everything separately!
For our hotel, we stayed at the Residence Inn Anaheim Resort and it was PERFECT for what we needed. We would go there again in a heartbeat and recommend it to everyone (which is why I am recommending it to you.. right now). The accommodations were so nice and the staff was above and beyond most we have encountered. The breakfasts exceeded expectations (the breakfast buffet was HUGE)! What made it even better, they had a kids area where my daughter could eat on tables her size and watch Mickey Mouse on a big theater screen… and to top it off, they brought around balloons for the kids each morning! They made it magical for all the kids. My daughter STILL talks about going to the “kids club” at the hotel.
Now we are back home… in the FREEZING cold. I am seriously ready to book another trip! Just writing up this post and reminiscing on our fun trip is making me want to go back SO bad! Anyone with me? Should we do a Favorite Family Recipes group trip to Disneyland or what? I am seriously considering it! Who’s with me?!