Apple Pie Caramel Apples from Disneyland are my new favorite treat! Now you can bring the magic to your kitchen with this easy recipe!
Apple Pie Caramel Apples
These Apple Pie Caramel Apples are a must have every time we go to Disneyland. My college friend, Nathan, first introduced me to them when we visited Disney recently and they’ve instantly shot to the top of my Disney food list. Creamy caramel, tart apples, a cinnamon graham cracker crust, the combination is perfection! Plus they’re so cute! They’re a hit at any birthday party, Halloween bash or just a fun weekend treat.
Tips for Perfect Apple Pie Caramel Apples
- First of all, you need to get good caramel. After trying a few cheaper varieties, I found Kraft caramel bits. They melt smoothly and you don’t have to spend an hour unwrapping caramels.
- Granny Smith, Gala or McIntosh apples are my favorites for making caramel apples. They’re firm, tart and crisp. Perfect!
- You can either go with melted white chocolate chips or white chocolate melting chocolates. The melting chocolates seem to get harder and chip off a little more but it all tastes the same.
- For the “crust” you can either use cinnamon flavored graham crackers or you can get an actual pre-made pie crust, add a little cinnamon and sugar and process it in a food processor.
More Favorite Disney Treats
Aside from the rides and the general magical atmosphere, my favorite thing about Disney is all the yummy treats! Try a few of our copycat recipes and make these delicious refreshments at home!
- Disneyland Jalapeno Cheese Stuffed Pretzel
- Disneyland Mint Julep Copycat
- Our Favorite Foods at Disneyland
- Favorite Foods at California Adventure
- Mexican Street Corn Cups (Disney’s Cozy Cone Copycat)
Get Away Today
Are you planning a Disney trip in the near future? Get Away Today can help you with all your travel plans. From a hotel and park package to shuttle services from the airport to transportation every day to and from the park, let the kind folks at Get Away Today make your Disney vacation easy and memorable! We love working with this company and we know you will too!
How to Make Disneyland’s Apple Pie Caramel Apples
- 4 large Granny Smith apples
- 5 c. caramels or appx. 1 bag Kraft Caramel bits--see above
- 7 cinnamon graham crackers or 1 prepared pie crust
- 1 1/2 lbs. melting chocolates or chocolate chips
- cinnamon and sugar to taste (appx 2 Tbsp sugar + 1/8 tsp. cinnamon)
- 8 large marshmallows optional.. only if you want to make "ears"
- Scrub apples and dry with a dishcloth or paper towel. This is to get the wax coating off (if you REALLY want to get the wax off, drop them in boiling water for a few seconds and wipe dry).
- Refrigerate apples for a few hours until they are nice and cold.
- Melt caramel in the microwave (in a micvrowave-safe dish) for 30 seconds at a time until caramel is nice and melted or follow directions on package if using the Bits. If you are using un-wrapped caramels you can also put the caramels in a small crock pot on high heat until melted.
- Place caramel apple sticks or popsicle sticks into the top of each apple and dip each apple into the caramel until fully coated, rotating the apple as needed. Let excess caramel drip off and them place on wax paper. Refrigerate at least 2-3 hours until caramel is completely cooled onto the apples.
- In a food processor, process graham crackers (or pie crust) until well blended. If doing a pie crust, add a little cinnamon and sugar to the mixture. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- Melt chocolate in a microwave-safe dish in the microwave until chocolate is just melted and there are no lumps. Dip each apple in the chocolate and allow chocolate to set up for a few seconds. When chocolate has set a little, roll the bottom half in processed graham cracker crumbs (or crust). Sprinkle entire apple with cinnamon and sugar and set aside.
- Optional: Once the chocolate on the apples have set, roll each marshmallow in the chocolate and place on the apples to make "ears". Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar and hold in place until set.