This is truly the Best Grilled Ham and Cheese sandwich you’ll ever taste! Unique ingredients turn an ordinary sandwich into something extraordinary!
The Best Ham and Cheese
This recipe for the Best Ham and Cheese is inspired by a lunch I enjoyed at a tiny sandwich shop in my hometown and sadly the restaurant was only in business for less than a year. However in the short time it was open Emily and I ate there several times and always ordered this sandwiches. We loved them and were so sad when the restaurant shut its doors. So we set about creating our own version that we could eat whenever we wanted. If you’re looking for a simple lunch recipe to share with guests or lunchtime visitors this is a good one. Definitely not your average ham and cheese melts!
Secret Ingredient: Apple
The secret ingredient in these grilled ham and cheese sandwiches is sliced apple! Crisp, sweet apple slices really complements the melted cheese and warm ham. I added Gala apples to this sandwich but you could use Pink Lady, Fuji, Granny Smith or just about any slightly tart and crisp apple that you like.
Suggestions for this Sandwich
- In addition to apple slices, try smearing a layer of apple butter on the inside of the bread before grilling. You’ll love the sweetness and the butter melts beautifully into the bread.
- I like using a nice, sturdy artisan bread for these sandwiches; however you can certainly use any bread you have on hand.
- For extra creamy cheese flavor, add a tablespoon or two of brie cheese, which complements the tartness of the apples and blends perfectly with sharp cheddar and ham.
- Thinly sliced deli ham is best for this sandwich, but you could also swap it out for sliced turkey or roast beef.
More Favorite Sandwiches
We love sandwiches, especially sandwiches with unique ingredients that give a boost of flavor. Here are some more of our favorites:
- Corned Beef Sandwiches
- The Bleubird’s Turkey and Brie Sandwich
- Pilgrim Sandwiches
- Vietnamese Pork Bahn Mi Sandwiches
- Grilled Chicken Sandwiches with Spicy Aioli Mayo
- Turkey Over Italy Sandwich on Foccacia Bread
- Click HERE for more amazing sandwich recipes! We have lots to choose from!
How to Make The Best Grilled Ham and Cheese
The Best Grilled Ham and Cheese
- Spread Brie cheese evenly over one slice of bread. On that same slice, layer ham, apple butter, apples, and cheddar cheese.
- Top with remaining slice of bread.
- Spread butter over the outside of the sandwich and grill in a skillet over medium-low heat as if making a grilled cheese sandwich.
- Slice in half and serve hot.