This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
This is truly the best-grilled ham and cheese sandwich you will ever taste! Unique ingredients turn an ordinary sandwich into something extraordinary!
Featured with this recipe
This grilled ham and cheese sandwich will take your taste buds to the next level! You will love the thick bread slices, layers of ham and cheese, with delicious apple slices on them. Yes! Apples! It makes this sandwich one of the best we have ever had!
Boost your grilled cheese with this special ingredient, apples. It truly is a game changer and something that every grilled cheese needs to have. Apples compliment the ham and cheese giving it sweetness but also a sweet crunch in every bite. This sandwich is quick and easy to make!
The Secret Ingredients
The secret ingredient in these grilled ham and cheese sandwiches is sliced apple! Crisp, sweet apple slices complement the melted cheese and warm ham. These ingredients are layered together and have a sweet, savory, crunchy, and delicious flavor in every bite!
- Artisan bread – This is a thick and crunchy bread with a soft inside that is sweet and savory. The outside is a golden brown coloring. I like using nice, sturdy artisan bread for these sandwiches; however, you can certainly use any bread you have on hand.
- Brie cheese – A soft creamy, cheese that melts perfectly overtop. For extra creamy cheese flavor, add a tablespoon or two of brie cheese, which complements the tartness of the apples and blends perfectly with sharp cheddar and ham.
- Ham – Thinly sliced deli ham is best for this sandwich, but you could also swap it out for sliced turkey or roast beef.
- Apple butter – Yes! This is the big secret! This is a sweet and savory butter that has all the flavor. Smearing a layer of apple butter on the inside of the bread before grilling. You’ll love the sweetness and the butter melts beautifully into the bread.
- Gala apples – Slice apples very thin to be able to slide into the sandwich and soften them.
- Sharp cheddar cheese – Sliced cheddar cheese and add it to the sandwich. This is a very sharp cheese that has aged for 12 to 24 months leaving it very flavorful with a little bit of tangy flavor.
- Butter – Use the room temperature butter to spread over the outside of the bread slices.
How to Make the Best Grilled Ham and Cheese
A grilled ham and cheese sandwich is simple to make and comes together in just a few easy steps. This is a quick and easy lunch or dinner to make in a matter of minutes. Grab your pan or griddle start adding your sandwiches and start grilling!
- Layer – Take your Brie cheese and evenly spread it over one slice of bread. Take that same slice, and layer ham, apple butter, apples, and cheddar cheese. Lastly, top with the remaining slice of bread.
- Cook – Following, spread butter over the outside of the sandwich and grill in a skillet over medium-low heat as if making a grilled cheese sandwich.
- Serve – Slice in half and serve hot.
Easy Ham and Cheese Modifications
This is the ultimate grilled ham and cheese recipe! Create the best ham and cheese sandwich with these helpful modifications to your meal. Make this sandwich just the way you like it!
- Types of apples – I added Gala apples to this sandwich but you could use Pink Lady, Fuji, Granny Smith, or just about any slightly tart and crisp apple you like.
- Toppings – Add tomatoes and Dijon mustard instead of apples like this margarita grilled cheese sandwich.
- Protein – If you are not a fan of sliced ham you can use sliced turkey or a flavored ham like honey ham, black forest ham, or smoked ham.
- Cheeses – Try other cheeses like Swiss cheese or Monterey cheese.
- Tomato soup – We love to dip our grilled cheese in tomato soup or make it a complete meal with a soup and sandwich.
- Bread – The best bread is a thicker type of bread like sourdough bread but you can use any bread that you prefer. This will just mean you need to change the amount of ham, cheese, and added apples to still be able to have the cheese melt.
Make it a Complete Meal
We always love a classic tomato soup or side salad. A bowl of fresh fruit or even a bag of chips. These are all great ways to make a complete meal!
“This sandwich is delicious. Had it for dinner last night. I’ll be making this many more times. Thanks!”-Betty
Frequently Asked Questions
Blue cheeses like gorgonzola or a Wisconsin blue cheese pair well with ham. Soft and creamy cheese with sweet flavors works well with ham.
It is called grilled cheese because it is being cooked on a skillet or a grill like a mini griddle. Cooking on the grill or griddle gives the outside of the bread a crisp, golden brown coloring with melted cheese and softened apples lying over the warm ham.
You can use either white, whole wheat, sourdough, or even rye bread. A thick slice of bread is tasty too!
Layer mustard or mayonnaise on the inside of the bread to create a barrier. This will help the bread from becoming soggy.
More Favorite Sandwiches
We love sandwiches, especially sandwiches with unique ingredients that give a boost of flavor. Try some more of our favorite sandwiches and find out which one is your favorite!
How to Make Grilled Ham and Cheese
Grilled Ham and Cheese
- Spread Brie cheese evenly over one slice of bread. Layer ham, apple butter, apples, and cheddar cheese on that same slice.
- Top with the remaining slice of bread.
- Spread room-temperature butter over the outside of the sandwich.
- Grill in a skillet over medium-low heat as if making a grilled cheese sandwich.
- Slice in half and serve hot.
Love this recipe?
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.