This lemon pesto rice makes the most amazing side dish to just about any meal. It has a delicious pesto flavor with a kick of lemon.
Lemon Pesto Rice is especially good made with our recipe for Fresh Basil Pesto HERE. This rice is FAR better than anything you can make from a box. I have tried different methods in my rice cooker, but cooking it over the stove is so much better. The secret is the browning of the rice in oil before you add the broth. This is the same method that we use for our yummy Mexican Rice Recipe HERE.
This rice is slightly on the dry side, like in restaurants (which is exactly how I like it). It doesn’t turn out wet, clumpy and sticky like some homemade rice recipes can be. The rice really absorbs the flavors yet has the perfect consistency. Just be sure to always add the pesto last, after the rice has been cooked and fluffed. Cooked pesto turns brown and isn’t nearly as appetizing looking.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the rice and gently stir until rice begins to lightly brown.
- Add the garlic and salt and stir the rice til it looks golden.
- Add chicken broth and lemon juice and turn the heat up to medium high.
- Bring the mix to a boil then turn the heat to low and cover the pan with a lid.
- Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and fluff with a fork then stir in the pesto.
- Serves 4.