This tasty Pumpkin Roll recipe is easy to make with an even easier homemade cream cheese filling! It is a delicious addition to your Fall baking checklist.
Pumpkin Roll is one of those desserts that feels and tastes like fall and holidays. Delicate, light cake rolled up with creamy and rich cream cheese frosting, dusted with gloriously sweet powdered sugar makes it an elegant, gorgeous centerpiece to any family holiday buffet. It also makes a beautiful gift for friends and family.
Prepare the Cake
The first step in making your Pumpkin Roll is to make the pumpkin cake batter. Start by preheating the oven to 375. Then spray two jelly roll pans with cooking spray and then line with parchment paper. Then, whisk together all the dry ingredients. This includes the all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice – a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and allspice. Then, mix the sugar and eggs until the mixture turns a light yellow color and the sugar is dissolved. Then, stir in the pumpkin puree. Combine the wet and dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Don’t over-mix. Finally, pour equal amounts of the batter into each prepared pan. Use an offset spatula to level the batter.
Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the top of the Pumpkin Roll cake springs back when touched. While the cake is cooking, grab two large, thin kitchen towels. Dust each kitchen towel with powdered sugar. When the cakes are done, turn them out onto the towels and gently pull the parchment paper off. Cover with plastic wrap and let cool completely.
*Optional: To help with shaping and to prevent cracking, you can place a new piece of parchment paper on top of the cake once its turned out and roll it up. Let the rolled cake cool completely.
Preparing the Cream Cheese Frosting
While the pumpkin roll cake is cooling, work on the filling. Start with very soft butter and cream cheese. You can achieve this by leaving them at room temperature for about an hour before starting. Using a stand mixer or hand mixer and a large bowl, blend together the butter and cream cheese until very fluffy and smooth. Add vanilla extract and mix until incorporated. Slowly add in the powdered sugar and mix until full incorporated. Make sure to scrape the sides of the bowl.
Once the cake is cooled, spread the cream cheese filling in an even layer over one side of the cake. Tightly, but carefully, roll the cake up. Gently transfer to a sheet of plastic wrap and cover the cake completely. Chill in the fridge for at least an hour before serving. It will be tempting to slice into it sooner, but for that beautiful swirl to set up it needs a full hour in the fridge.
Can I Make Pumpkin Rolls Ahead of Time?
Yes! This Pumpkin Roll Recipe makes two rolls, so it’s perfect to make and stick in the freezer. That way you’ll have plenty on hand for guests who drop by.
- These rolls freeze beautifully for up to three months. The trick is to just thaw it overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
- You can also make them and store in the refrigerator for a couple of days.
- TIP: Hold off adding the powdered sugar right away. Dust that sweet sugar on the rolls just before cutting into slices so the sugar stays white and fresh-looking and doesn’t melt into the roll.
How Many People Will this Pumpkin Roll Recipe Serve?
This Pumpkin Roll recipe makes two Pumpkin Rolls. It is the perfect dessert to wow a crowd during the holidays.
- If you cut the roll into one-inch slices, you can get a dozen slices per roll.
- Cutting it more on the thin side, about 3/4 inch thick, you can get up to 15 slices.
- Each Pumpkin Roll is 12 inches long, but we generally trim a little off the ends for presentation’s sake.
- However, if you serve already cut slices on a plate, feel free to cheat a little and put an end side face down on the plate. It tastes just as delicious as the other slices and it looks more pleasing to the eye.
More Pumpkin Recipes
Not only is pumpkin the base for thousands of decadent desserts, it’s a savory supper’s dream. Try it in this Dinner in a Pumpkin or Soup in a Pumpkin. And don’t forget breakfast: these Pumpkin Belgian Waffles are divine!
Pumpkin is good for you, too! The health benefits of using pumpkin in your cooking are endless. So if better eyesight, weight management, or having more energy means something to you, now’s the perfect season to incorporate all that goodness into as many recipes as possible.
How to Make a Pumpkin Roll
- Preheat oven to 375. Spray two jelly roll pans with cooking spray then line with wax paper. Dust two thin kitchen towels with powdered sugar. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and salt in small bowl then set aside.
- In a medium size bowl thoroughly beat together eggs and sugar, then beat in pumpkin. Mix in flour mixture.
- Spread the batter evenly into the two jelly roll pans. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Turn the cakes onto the powdered sugar towels and peel off the wax paper. Sprinkle the top with more powdered sugar then cover with plastic wrap and cool completely.*Optional: To help with shaping and to prevent cracking, you can place a new piece of parchment paper on top of the cake once its turned out and roll it up. Let the rolled cake cool completely.
For the Cream Cheese Filling:
- In a medium bowl, cream together the cream cheese and butter until creamy. Mix in the vanilla, then gradually beat in the powdered sugar.
- When the cake is cool, remove plastic wrap. Spread cream cheese filling evenly over cakes.
- Tightly, but carefully, roll the cake up. Gently transfer to a sheet of plastic wrap and cover the cake completely. Chill in the fridge for at least an hour before serving. It will be tempting to slice into it sooner, but for that beautiful swirl to set up it needs a full hour in the fridge.