This classic Pumpkin Roll is a staple at many gatherings in our family. With its delicate pumpkin cake and fluffy cream cheese filling, it’s sure to be a favorite at your house too!
Pumpkin Roll is one of those desserts that feels and tastes like fall and holidays. Delicate, light cake rolled up with creamy and rich cream cheese frosting, dusted with gloriously sweet powdered sugar makes it an elegant, gorgeous centerpiece to any family holiday buffet. It also makes a beautiful gift for friends and family.
Can I Make Pumpkin Rolls Ahead of Time?
Yes! This Pumpkin Roll Recipe makes two rolls, so it’s perfect to make and freeze. That way you’ll have plenty on hand for guests who drop by.
- These rolls freeze beautifully for up to three months. The trick is to just thaw it overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
- You can also make them and store in the refrigerator for a couple of days.
- TIP: Hold off adding the powdered sugar right away. Dust that sweet sugar on the rolls just before cutting into slices so the sugar stays white and fresh-looking and doesn’t melt into the roll.
How Many People Will this Pumpkin Roll Recipe Serve?
This Pumpkin Roll recipe makes two Pumpkin Rolls. It is the perfect dessert to wow a crowd during the holidays.
- If you cut the roll into one-inch slices, you can get a dozen slices per roll.
- Cutting it more on the thin side, about 3/4 inch thick, you can get up to 15 slices.
- Each Pumpkin Roll is 12 inches long, but we generally trim a little off the ends for presentation’s sake.
- However, if you serve already cut slices on a plate, feel free to cheat a little and put an end side face down on the plate. It tastes just as delicious as the other slices and it looks more pleasing to the eye.
More Pumpkin Recipes
Not only is pumpkin the base for thousands of decadent desserts, it’s a savory supper’s dream. Try it in this Dinner in a Pumpkin or Soup in a Pumpkin. And don’t forget breakfast: these Pumpkin Belgian Waffles are divine!
Pumpkin is good for you, too! The health benefits of using pumpkin in your cooking are endless. So if better eyesight, weight management, or having more energy means something to you, now’s the perfect season to incorporate all that goodness into as many recipes as possible.
How to Make Pumpkin Rolls
Preheat oven to 375. Spray two jelly roll pans with pam then line with wax paper. Dust two thin kitchen towels with powdered sugar.
Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and salt in small bowl then set aside.
In a medium size bowl thoroughly beat together eggs and sugar, then beat in pumpkin. Mix in flour mixture then spread evenly into the two jelly roll pans.
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Turn the cakes onto the powdered sugar towels and peel off the wax paper. Sprinkle the top with more powdered sugar then cover with plastic wrap and cool completely.
When cool, remove plastic wrap. Spread cream cheese filling evenly over cakes, then roll up. Refrigerate at least an hour before serving.
In a medium bowl, cream together the cream cheese and butter until creamy. Mix in the vanilla, then gradually beat in the powdered sugar.