I call this recipe “Gold Medal Meatball Sandwiches” because it was inspired by Olympic Gold Medalist, Michael Phelps. My husband and I went to Subway during our move and we saw an ad for the “Michael Phelps Sub” which was just the regular meatball sub with banana peppers and jalapeno. He ordered it and loved it (which is saying something because he hates eating at Subway). Anyway, instead of making a trip to Subway, we decided to make our own version of the sandwich but thought to use Cibatta instead of a hoagie. It is surprisingly good (Jared liked it better than the Subway version)! So thank you Michael Phelps, where ever you are.
- 2 cibatta rolls
- 8 meatballs (Pre-cooked frozen meatballs OR homemade meatballs: click HERE for a good meatball recipe)
- 1/2 jar spaghetti sauce (like Prego)
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- banana peppers (to taste)
- jalapenos, sliced (to taste)
- Place meatballs in a medium-sized sauce pot. Add spaghetti sauce and simmer for a few hours. Slice Cibatta and place cheese on the bottom half. Add meatballs (4 for each sandwich), peppers and jalapenos.