This is my absolute favorite homemade bread because it is so moist and really holds its shape. You know how some breads break apart when you cut them? This one never does.
My friend used to make this bread when we were going to school in Idaho and I really loved it. She was one of those people that would make it without having a recipe so I made her measure it out one day for me. I actually usually make it with white flour for a yummy homemade bread but today I decided to try whole wheat flour and it was really good too. (You still use the honey either way).
Honey Wheat Bread
- 3 cups really warm water
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. yeast (or 2 yeast packets)
- Dissolve and wait until yeast froths then add:
- 1/4 c. shortening
- 1/4 c. honey
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- about 6 cups of flour
- Add flour a cup at a time until you have a soft dough. Knead and put into a bowl. Cover with a cloth and let raise about an hour or until it has about doubled in size. (It raises much better if you put in front of a window with the sun shining in or on top of a warm oven).
- Knead again and place bread into baking tins and raise again for another hour.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes until brown on the top. Butter the top of the bread while still in the oven and let cook another 2 min. Remove and let cool about 10 minutes in the pans, then turn out and cool 10 more minutes before slicing.
- Makes 3 regular or 2 large loaves.
Copyright Favorite Family Recipes 2012