This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
Our Mom’s Zucchini Bread recipe is a no-fail, easy recipe. Moist and flavorful on the inside with a slightly crispy crust outside. Perfection!
Mom’s Zucchini Bread
Our Mom’s Zucchini Bread is absolutely the best zucchini bread recipe we’ve ever had. She made this all the time with fresh zucchini from her garden when we were growing up. As kids, it was the only thing with zucchini in it that we would eat willingly. We never tired of the summertime treat and we looked forward to each time our mom got out the loaf pans. The house would always smell warm, slightly sweet and cinnamony and I couldn’t wait to get my hands on a slice. I loved the taste then and I love it now. In fact, I just planted some zucchini in my garden so I can make it later this summer!
Ingredients for Zucchini Bread
This zucchini bread batter whips up fast, with pantry staples and fresh zucchini. Here’s what you need:
- For the wet ingredients, start with three large eggs
- Then, whisk in a cup of vegetable oil and two cups of sugar in a large bowl.
- Next, add two teaspoons vanilla extract
- For the dry ingredients, add baking soda, baking powder, salt, and three cups of all purpose flour. You can use regular white flour or half whole wheat flour in this recipe.
- Then, the star of the show, the zucchini! Use a box grater to get the perfect grated zucchini. You can peel the zucchini or leave the peelings on. And if there’s too much moisture, use a paper towel to dab some of the moisture out before folding it into the batter.
That’s the basic recipe, but you can add in all sorts of yummy ingredients for added flavor. Here are a few ideas:
- Chocolate chips – dark chocolate, milk chocolate, white chocolate would all be delicious.
- Any other favorite nuts
- Dash of nutmeg
- Brown sugar sprinkled on top
Tips for the Best Zucchini Bread
- Near the end of the summer, when you feel like you have zucchini coming out of your ears, put a few in a basket along with this recipe and some of the ingredients (or just give them a freshly baked loaf) and give it to your friends and neighbors.. they will love you forever.
- This recipe makes two loaves so you can eat one today and freeze the other loaf for later. I will make several loaves and freeze them to save for a rainy day when I feel like a sweet treat but don’t feel like making it.
- If you don’t have a garden overflowing with zucchini, most likely most markets have the vegetable in stock year round for pretty cheap. You can make this bread any time; it doesn’t just have to be in the summer.
- Use coconut oil in place of regular oil in this recipe and it is FANTASTIC!
- For an even sweeter treat, top each slice with a spread of homemade cream cheese frosting. Delicious!
- For a gluten free version of this zucchini bread, try our Gluten Free Zucchini Bread recipe.
What Readers are Saying About this Recipe
“Just came across this recipe & decided to give it a try. Truly the best zucchini bread recipe ever! Very moist with crusty top. I followed the recipe exactly as printed & it was incredible.” – Lyn
“Made this as my first try at zucchini bread. Subbed gf flour and it was simple and delicious!” -K
We made this today and love it! Great recipe. I especially love the fact that it makes two loaves so we can save some for later. Thanks for sharing! – Deanna
READ NEXT: 33+ Super Easy Breakfast Ideas
More Delicious Sweet Bread Recipes
This recipe is my top favorite but these recipes come in really close! Try a few for yourself. They all make terrific muffins too!
Mom’s Zucchini Bread
- 2 8×4 bread pans
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups zucchini peeled and grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat eggs, sugar, and oil in a mixing bowl.
- Stir in baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, vanilla, salt, and flour.
- Fold in zucchini.
- Pour into bread pans lined with cooking spray.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes or when toothpick inserted in middle of loaf comes out clean.
Did you try this recipe?
Share It on Instagram!
Mention @favoritefamilyrecipes or tag #favoritefamilyrecipes!
Hello, honey and sugar are the same thing as is maple syrup and any other kind of sweet except for actual sugar substitutes like Xylitol, Erythritol or Sorbital. Please don’t listen to people on the internet, me included. Consult your nutrition person or a medical web site.
Just came across this recipe & decided to give it a try. Truly the best zucchini bread recipe ever! Very moist with crusty top. I followed the recipe exactly as printed & it was incredible. My hubby & I couldn’t stop eating it & before long one loaf was gobbled down by 2 peeps. Thanks for sharing this recipe. Do you have any other fantastic bread recipes? Like banana, pumpkin, etc.
I am so glad you guys loved this recipe as much as we do! Thanks for the 5-star rating!! We have several other bread recipes that you can find by searching “bread” on our homepage. My personal favorites are our Pumpkin Chocolate Chip bread (here: https://www.favfamilyrecipes.com/pumpkin-chocolate-chip-bread/) and our Lemon Zucchini bread (here: https://www.favfamilyrecipes.com/lemon-zucchini-bread/) Hope you find something you like!
Can you use a Bunt Pan
Hi Linda- we haven’t used a bundt pan for this before but you will probably be ok. If you try it, let us know how it turns out for you!
Made this as my first try at zucchini bread. Subbed gf flour and it was simple and delicious!
So glad you liked it, and that it worked so well with GF flour! 😀
This recipe was so good, even the kids ate it and enjoyed it ! Thanks for sharing!!
So glad it was such a hit! And thanks for the 5-stars! 😀
Thank you, ladies, for sharing!
Hi there. I want to try this but cannot use honey or maple syrup or any sweet factors like t hat. Can I justbe omit the sugar. I also will need to use flaxseed egg instead of egg …. do you know if it will work out ok
Thanks so much
Hmmm.. we have never made it that way before. We have never used flaxseed egg so I am not sure how it would affect the recipe. We have also only done sugar substitutes (honey etc..) and have never left it completely out before. The taste will definitely be different if you leave the sugar out. If you try it, let us know how it turns out!
How much honey do you use instead of sugar? 2 cups the same? And with the coconut oil did you melt it first before mixing it?
You will want to do slightly less honey… maybe 1 2/3 c. instead of sugar. Also bake on a slightly lower temp because honey browns faster. Coconut oil is the same ratio– Yes, it can be melted… I just like to have it at room temp. Hope this helps!
Why do you have to peel thezuchinni? The zucchini in the picture doesn’t look like it’s been peeled.
It doesn’t need to be peeled. You can do it either way. It will still turn out great 😀
I am a vegan and someone replyed to diabetes question. IF I use apple sauce instead of eggs, how much applesauce do I use?
I’m trying to make a large batch of this to feed a class of 60. Is it possible to turn this recipe into muffins? If so, do you know what alterations would need to be made? (cooking time, temp, change of ingredients…)
You probably wouldn’t need to change the ingredients. I am guessing just reduce the time quite a bit– try checking after 10-12 minutes and keep checking every few minutes until cooked through. Let us know how long it takes! I would be interested in knowing too 🙂
Is vegitable or canola oil best?
You can use either… You shouldn’t be able to tell the difference
i love this recipe and would like your permission to add it to our farm share cookbook. My son and I added bananas to it and it’s so moist. If you
Is it a personal cookbook or is it cookbook that will be published?
This recipe is the best!! And I love a recipe that makes two loaves!
We made this today and my family loves it thanks for sharing your recipe .
So glad you liked it! 😀
That is the exact same ingredients that I have used for years. Although I usually add one or two ingredients to add some flavor; maraschino cherries, or cranberries out of the bag. Makes it taste great! I also give as gifts in the winter months.
I love that idea! Totally makes it more Winter-y! Thanks for the suggestions!
use honey instead
could this be made to be diabetic friendly?
YES Instead of sugar honey ,instead of eggs/applesauce
We made this today and love it! Great recipe. I especially love the fact that it makes two loaves so we can save some for later. Thanks for sharing!