I LOVE Frozen hot chocolate. In my high school years I loved walking up to our local Dairy Queen and getting these with my friends (everything was pretty much walking-distance where we grew up). So many fond memories. In my opinion this tastes best in either a frosted mug or a styrofoam cup. If you want to make it more like a frozen hot chocolate shake, add more milk and a scoop of chocolate ice cream… yum! Switch things up and try different flavors of cocoa.. I have used both mint and raspberry flavored cocoa and they are both delicious in their own ways (I liked the mint slightly better… just because I love mint and chocolate. It kind of tastes like a grasshopper shake). Give these a try! You will love them!
Frozen Hot Chocolate
- 5-6 oz chocolate (we like Marabou from Ikea and/or a few different kinds of Ghiradelli)
- 2 tsp. hot chocolate powder mix (I like to use Stephens-brand hot chocolate mix)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 c. milk
- 3 c. ice (to make it a little more rich, use frozen milk cubes)
- *Whipped cream (see below or store-bought)
- Chocolate shavings
- 1 c. heavy cream, very cold
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 Tbsp light corn syrup
- Chop the chocolate into small pieces and melt in a double boiler or a small saucepan over med-low heat. Stir occasionally until melted.
- Add the hot chocolate mix and sugar, stirring constantly until blended. Remove from heat, slowly add half a cup of the milk, and stir until smooth.
- Cool to room temperature. In a blender, place the remaining cup of milk, the chocolate mixture, and the ice. Blend on high speed until smooth. Pour into cup or mug and top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
- Combine the cream and vanilla and mix well. With an electric mixer with a whisk attachment, start whipping the cream on medium speed. Add the corn syrup slowly while beating. Whip until the cream holds soft peaks.
Copyright Favorite Family Recipes 2012