These DIY Slushy Magic Slushies are the COOLEST summertime treat. They can be made in minutes and kids are crazy for them. They’re like MAGIC!
DIY Slushy Magic Slushies
These DIY Slushy Magic Slushies are the coolest things ever! You throw together the ingredients, shake and BAM! Instant slushy. They’re a huge hit with my children and they taste just like those sugary slushies you get at the gas station. They’re the perfect fun drink for those hot summer days when plain juice or soda doesn’t seem cold enough to quench your thirst and when you don’t want to deal with melted messy popsicles. No blender, no big mess, no big chunks of ice, just smooth slushy goodness. This also is a great summer activity where you can get the kids involved. They will love the MAGIC!
What Do I Need for Magic Slushies?
You can make these with fruit juice or with soda (my very favorite is making it with vanilla Dr. Pepper) or whatever you like best! You can buy the Slushy Magic Kit online for upwards of $10 OR you can make your own DIY Slushy Magic at home for a few cents. This is so easy to do, even a 3 year old can do it… really! You literally can be drinking a slushy in 5 minutes from now. I bet you have everything you need right at this moment. All you need is ice, salt, juice, and a couple of Ziploc bags. That’s it!
More Magic Slushy Tips
- Keep in mind that when you are shaking the bags, they get SUPPPERRRR cold. Especially when my kids are shaking them, I like to wrap them in a hand towel or dish towel so their little hands don’t freeze.
- If yours doesn’t seem to be getting cold enough, add another teaspoon or so of salt and maybe a couple more ice cubes.
- The amounts I put below seemed just about right for us but if you are in a place where it is really hot you may want to add a little more ice and salt.
- Some favorite recipes include grape juice, Sprite, apple juice, Gatorade. The possibilities are endless. They really are like MAGIC!
More Frozen Summer Treats
- Magic FROZEN Butterbeer Recipe (from the Wizarding World of Harry Potter): Made in the same fashion as this DIY Magic Slushy. These taste EXACTLY like the frozen butter beer at Harry Potter world. You will be amazed! So so so tasty!
- Pink Lemonade Ice Cream Pie: Another refreshing summertime to cool you down after a day of playing in the sun. This Pink Lemonade Ice Cream Pie has been a favorite in our family for YEARS!
- Frozen Hot Chocolate: Your favorite snowy-day treat can now be your favorite SUNNY day treat! These taste just as good (if not better) than the Serendipity hot chocolates in New York (believe me, I have tried the kind in NYC and these taste just like it)!
- Disneyland Mint Juleps: One of our favorite drinks at Disneyland! These can easily be made at home with our delicious copycat recipe. Tastes JUST like the real thing! You can close your eyes and be magically transported to New Orleans Square with just one sip.
How to Make Magic Slushies
- 6 cups ice cubes (or enough to fill about half a gallon-sized bag)
- 1-2 tablespoons Ice cream salt (Kosher salt or table salt work great too)
- 1 cup juice or soda (not diet)
- Place ice cubes and salt in a quart-sized Ziploc bag.
- Place juice in a sandwich-sized Ziploc bag, press out all the air and seal tightly. If it isn't sealed tightly enough, salt will get in and it won't taste good.
- *PLEASE NOTE: You will have two separate bags – a quart bag with ice and salt, and a sandwich bag with juice. The ice, salt, and juice DO NOT go in the same bag.
- Place the small bag of juice IN the larger bag of ice and seal. The larger bag will be holding the ice, salt, and the baggie of juice.
- Shake for about 3-5 minutes or until juice is slushified (I made that word up). If it gets too cold, wrap a dish cloth around it or use gloves and continue shaking.
- Pour slush into a cup and serve immediately.