These DIY Slushy Magic slushie’s are literally the COOLEST summertime treat for kids. They can be made in minutes and kids are crazy for them! It’s like MAGIC!
Ok seriously, these slushies (or “flushies” as my 3-year old would say LOL) are the coolest thing ever. You throw them together, shake, and BAM.. instant slushy. They are a HUGE hit with my kiddos and they taste just like the slushies that you get at the gas station. No blender, no big mess, no big chunks of ice… just smooth slushie goodness.
This is the perfect fun drink for those hot summer days when plain juice or soda doesn’t seem cold enough to quench your thirst and when you don’t want to deal with melty popsicles. This also is a great summer activity where you can get the kids involved. They will love the MAGIC!
You can make these with fruit juice or with soda (my very favorite is making it with vanilla Dr. Pepper)– whatever you like best! You can buy the Slushy Magic Kit online for upwards of $10 OR you can make your own DIY Slushy Magic at home for a few cents.
This is so easy to do, even a 3 year old can do it… really! You literally can be drinking a slushy in 5 minutes from now. I bet you have everything you need right at this moment. All you need is ice, salt, juice, and a couple Ziploc bags. That’s it!
Keep in mind that when you are shaking the bags.. they get SUPPPERRRR cold. Especially when my kids are shaking them I like to wrap them in a hand towel or dish towel so their little hands don’t freeze. If yours doesn’t seem to be getting cold enough– add another teaspoon or so of salt and maybe a couple more ice cubes. The amounts I put below seemed just about right for us but if you are in a place where it is really hot you may want to add a little more ice and salt.
Anyway- give these a try. You will be surprised how quickly you can make them and how delicious they are! We did a live video today on Facebook and many of our viewers made them along with us! Some tried grape juice, others Sprite, others apple juice, others Gatorade.. the possibilities are endless. They really are like MAGIC!
How to Make Magic Slushies:
- Ice cubes about 10-12 big pieces
- 1 Tbsp. Kosher salt table salt is fine, too
- 1 cup juice or soda (not diet)
- Place ice cubes and salt in a quart-sized Ziploc bag.
- Place juice in a smaller sandwich-sized Ziploc bag, press out all the air and seal tightly.
- Place bag of juice IN the bag of ice and seal.
- Shake for about 3-5 minutes or until juice is slushified (I made that word up-- it just seems so fitting)-- if it gets too cold, wrap a dish cloth around it and continue shaking.
- Pour slush into a cup and serve immediately.
Try some more of these fun summertime treats:
- Magic FROZEN Butterbeer Recipe (from the Wizarding World of Harry Potter): Made in the same fashion as this DIY Magic Slushy. These taste EXACTLY like the frozen butter beer at Harry Potter world. You will be amazed! So so so tasty!
- Pink Lemonade Ice Cream Pie: Another refreshing summertime to cool you down after a day of playing in the sun. This Pink Lemonade Ice Cream Pie has been a favorite in our family for YEARS!
- Frozen Hot Chocolate: Your favorite snowy-day treat can now be your favorite SUNNY day treat! These taste just as good (if not better) than the Serendipity hot chocolates in New York (believe me, I have tried the kind in NYC and these taste just like it)!
- Disneyland Mint Juleps: One of our favorite drinks at Disneyland! These can easily be made at home with our delicious copycat recipe. Tastes JUST like the real thing! You can close your eyes and be magically transported to New Orleans Square with just one sip.