This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
Every summer, we’re all about making the most of our time outdoors. These DIY Slushy Magic Slushies are a fun way to cool off and bring your kids together for some delicious treats!
They are super easy to make and only take 5 minutes of preparation using 3 simple ingredients. Plus, it’s cheaper than going out for an overpriced slushy from the gas station or a restaurant. This easy recipe doesn’t require a blender or messy clean up and it’s fun for the whole family to make!
DIY Slushy Magic Slushies
My children love making Slushies at home and experimenting with different flavors. It’s an excellent opportunity for kids to get involved in a fun activity that is simple yet rewarding. These are also great for summer parties or picnics when you don’t want to deal with melting popsicles or ice cream desserts that must be refrozen before serving.
The MAGIC! of this slushie recipe is when you add ingredients and shake them up. You end up with an instant slushy drink that everyone will enjoy!
Need more refreshing drinks and smoothies? Check out our absolute favorite recipes, including this Disneyland Mint Julep copycat, our creamy Peach Smoothie or this delicious Melonade (Watermelon Lemonade).
What Do I Need for Magic Slushies?
You can make these easy homemade slushies with fruit juice or with soda (my very favorite is making it with vanilla Dr. Pepper) or whatever you like best! You can buy the Slushy Magic Kit online for upwards of $10, OR you can make your own DIY Slushy Magic at home for a few cents. This is so easy to do, even a 3 year old can do it… really! You literally can be drinking a slushy in 5 minutes from now. I bet you have everything you need right at this moment. All you need is ice, salt, juice, and a couple of Ziploc bags. That’s it!
More Magic Slushy Tips
- Keep in mind that when you are shaking the bags, they get SUPPPERRRR cold. Especially when my kids are shaking them, I like to wrap them in a hand towel or dish towel so their little hands don’t freeze.
- If yours doesn’t seem to be getting cold enough, add another teaspoon or so of salt and maybe a couple more ice cubes.
- The amounts I put below seemed just about right for us, but if you are in a place where it is really hot, you may want to add a little more ice and salt.
- Some favorite recipes include grape juice and Sprite, apple juice, strawberry lemonade, cherry lime juice, mango juice, coconut and pineapple juice, or Gatorade. The possibilities are endless. They really are like MAGIC!
- Garnish with sliced strawberries or a wedge of pineapple.
More Frozen Summer Treats
- Magic FROZEN Butterbeer Recipe (from the Wizarding World of Harry Potter): Made in the same fashion as this DIY Magic Slushy. These taste EXACTLY like the frozen butter beer at Harry Potter world. You will be amazed! So so so tasty!
- Pink Lemonade Ice Cream Pie: Another refreshing summertime treat to cool you down after a day of playing in the sun. This Pink Lemonade Ice Cream Pie has been a favorite in our family for YEARS!
- Frozen Hot Chocolate: Your favorite snowy-day treat can now be your favorite SUNNY day treat! These taste just as good (if not better) than the Serendipity hot chocolates in New York (believe me, I have tried the kind in NYC and these taste just like it)!
- Disneyland Mint Juleps: One of our favorite drinks at Disneyland! These can easily be made at home with our delicious copycat recipe. Tastes JUST like the real thing! You can close your eyes and be magically transported to New Orleans Square with just one sip.
5-Minute Slushie (Slushy Magic)
- 6 cups ice cubes (or enough to fill about half a gallon-sized bag)
- 1-2 tablespoons Ice cream salt (Kosher salt or table salt work great too)
- 1 cup juice or soda (not diet)
- Place ice cubes and salt in a quart-sized Ziploc bag.
- Place juice in a sandwich-sized Ziploc bag, press out all the air and seal tightly. If it isn't sealed tightly enough, salt will get in and it won't taste good.
- Place the small bag of juice IN the larger bag of ice and seal. The larger bag will be holding the ice, salt, and the baggie of juice. *PLEASE NOTE: You will have two separate bags – a quart bag with ice and salt, and a sandwich bag with juice.
- Shake for about 3-5 minutes or until juice gets slushy. If your hands get too cold, wrap a dish cloth around the bag or use gloves and continue shaking.
- Pour slush into a cup and serve immediately.
Did you try this recipe?
Share It on Instagram!
Mention @favoritefamilyrecipes or tag #favoritefamilyrecipes!
I followed the instructions just with two small bags and it came out nice. Next time I’m going to shake it for longer. I had some doubts about this but it worked thanks : D
I think this is a good recipe, although mine did not become slushie-y. It was just cold orange juice. Also do you have to use a quart size bag or can you use gallon?
Which bag are you wanting to replace with a gallon size?
I did exactly what your directions called for and it came out perfect! Thanks 😊
What happened to the plastic bag with juice…how does the juice mix with the ice…how do the two connect, theyre in seperate bags
You don’t mix the juice with the ice. The ice and salt make the juice cold enough that it freezes! I hope this helps!
i thought it was going to work but it came out pretty bad, it was horribly salty
Hi! So it sounds like you added the salt to the juice. The salt is supposed to go in the outer bag with the ice. I hope this helps!
I have been trying so many recipes and this one finally is slushee-e it’s perfect!!!
Why not diet?
Diet soda has a MUCH higher freezing point than regular soda or juice so it will take a lot longer to freeze.
See More Comments