This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
This 7 Layer Dip is a great party appetizer! Loaded with all your favorite Mexican toppings, and sauces and served with crisp tortilla chips.
7 Layer Dip
When it comes to 7 Layer Dip, there are a lot of options out there. This one, however, is the very best we’ve ever tried and it’s so easy to make! It’s more of a nine layer dip but that’s what is so great about this recipe; you can add as much as you like! I made it for some company recently and the plate was practically licked clean in about 2 minutes! Ok, maybe this “company” was just the two of us. We just couldn’t stop ourselves! It is pretty simple but full of many great flavors!
What is 7 Layer Dip?
Essentially, 7 Layer Dip is all the yummy ingredients you love on a taco or burrito in a dip form. This Tex-Mex recipe makes a perfect party or game day appetizer, because everyone can enjoy scooping up what they like with chips or veggies. And because it’s layered, you can add or subtract any of the ingredients you want.
Ingredients in 7 Layer Dip
Seven Layer Taco Dips are great, but the added layers to this nine layer dip give it so much more flavor! Here’s what you need:
- Refried beans – to make the bean mixture extra flavorful, mix some taco seasoning in with them.
- Guacamole – you can add store bought guac, or make a batch of our delicious classic guacamole.
- Sour Cream – make sure to smooth the top of the guacamole before adding the sour cream
- Cover the top of the sour cream with salsa. Any kind will work!
- Shredded cheese – you can use sharp cheddar cheese, a Mexican cheese blend, Monterrey and cheddar cheese or all of the above! In my opinion, the more cheese the better!
- Black olives – dice them or leave them in slices, however you like the texture.
- Tomatoes – I like to use sliced grape tomatoes, but you can dice roma tomatoes or anything from your garden.
You can add any other toppings you like to create more layers of flavor. I like to add scallions or green onions, cilantro, shredded lettuce, diced green pepper, even ground beef for added protein. Top the whole thing with a dash of lime juice and a sprinkle of taco sauce on top.
Make it a Meal
Whether you serve this 7 Layer Dip as an appetizer, or if you want to make it part of the meal, check out these possibilities to add even more flavor to your plate.
- Spanish Chicken and Rice Skillet takes just a few ingredients to feed your whole family. Quick and easy!
- Sweet Corn Cakes (Tamalitos) are a sweet, savory side to any Mexican feast. They’re creamy, bursting with flavor and easy to make.
- Grilled Mexican Street Corn is flavored with Cotija cheese, chili powder and lime on top of delicious sweet corn on the cob.
How To Make 9 Layer Bean Dip
7 Layer Dip
- 9×13 inch pan
- Combine refried beans and taco seasoning in a bowl and stir together (if you want a HOT bean dip, do this in a saucepan on the stove over medium heat). When the taco seasoning is mixed in well, spread mixture on a large serving platter (or 9×13 baking dish).
- Layer remaining ingredients, in order, over beans. I like to sprinkle a little extra cheese near the top layers, but you can do whatever you like!