This Christmas Candy Apple Wreath is an easy holiday treat that can be made and enjoyed in a matter of minutes!
We love fun homemade Christmas sweets and treats that bring the family together during the holidays. That’s why we love this Christmas candy apple wreath, our mom’s famous homemade caramels, old-fashioned chocolate covered cherries, and traditional Christmas cookies. They are all so fun to make and enjoy around Christmastime!
Candy Apple Wreath
I came up with the idea for this candy apple wreath when trying to come up with a healthy(ish) holiday snack for my kids. I thought it would be fun to surprise them and take their favorite after school snack (apples and caramel dip) to the next level. When they came home they couldn’t wait to dive in! It was a HUGE hit and they begged to make them again the next day. It’s basically like one of those fancy chocolate dipped caramel apples that are rolled in candy, but cut into manageable bite-sized pieces. You get all the great flavors and textures but without the headache of messing with full-sized caramel apples. Plus, this is way more fun and festive (IMHO).
This Christmas candy apple wreath only requires a few easy ingredients including:
- Sliced apples (I use Signature Farms® Granny Smith Apples)
- Melted caramel
- Melted chocolate(I use Signature SELECT™ Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips)
- Christmas candies/sprinkles
- Candy bow (optional, see below)
I got everything I needed for this cute Christmas candy apple wreath, including Signature Farms apples and Signature SELECT chocolate, available exclusively at Albertsons in my local area. But you can also find their exclusive, high-quality brands (and everything else you need) at any of the Albertsons Companies family of stores, including Safeway, ACME Markets, Jewel-Osco, Randalls, Shaw’s Supermarket, Star Market, Tom Thumb and Vons. Ask a store near you!
What Apple Variety Is Best?
I used a bag of Signature Farms Granny Smith apples from Albertsons Market Street. I like Granny Smith apples for this candy apple wreath because they are tart and crispy, but Albertsons offers other apple varieties including Honeycrisp, Cosmic Crisp and many more fun varieties. No matter what variety you get, be sure to get apples that are crisp and flavorful. If you aren’t feeling up to going in the store and/or don’t want to pick the apples yourself, Albertsons offers Grocery Delivery and DriveUp & Go™ for convenient ways to shop! They always hand-pick the best produce, as if they were picking it for themselves. It is the ONLY drive-up or delivery service I trust to pick produce for me.
For The Caramel
You can use whatever kind of caramel you like best. If you want you caramel to be more stiff and chewy (like caramel apples), you can use melted caramel bits, melted unwrapped caramels, or even melted homemade caramels (YUM). Just place the unwrapped caramels in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time until it can be stirred together and easily spooned over the apples. If it is too thick, you can add a few tablespoons of water to thin. You can also use caramel ice cream topping if you would rather have the caramel be more gooey. Totally up to you!
Putting Your Candy Apple Wreath Together
Making this candy apple wreath is a breeze. The trick is to just slice your apples thin (so they lay flat) and just having fun with it. There are so many fun design possibilities! We would LOVE to see your pictures when you make this for yourself. Don’t forget to tag us at @favoritefamilyrecipes on Instagram so we can see your creation! Here are the basic steps:
- Thinly slice apples and lay them in a ring shape around a plate, repeat in layers moving inward.
- Spoon melted caramel over apples
- Drizzle melted chocolate over caramel
- Add white chocolate swirls
- Sprinkle on some candy
- Add a candy bow (see how below)
How To Make A Candy Bow With Fruit Roll-Ups
Making a candy bow is easier than it looks, I promise! It is so pretty and takes the Christmas candy apple wreath to the next level! All you have to do it fold and layer. And it’s easier with candy than with ribbon because it all just holds together on its own! Here’s how to do it:
- Lay a strip of the fruit roll up paper down on a plate (this will keep it from sticking and will make it easier to move to your wreath)
- Using scissors, cut 4 8-inch strips of fruit roll-up and fold the ends of each one into the middle, making 4 separate folded “ribbons”, layer the 4 ribbons cross-wise over one another
- Cut 3 6-inch strips and repeat step 2.
- Cut 3 3-inch strips and form each into a separate circle. Press each circle down, side-by-side at the top of the ribbon, pinching in the side circles toward the middle (making it look like it’s just one continuing ribbon)
- Using scissors, cut a “v” shape out of two strips (however long you want the long ribbons hanging down from the wreath). Tuck the long ribbons under the big ribbon.
- Carefully lift the bow up from the plate, remove the wax paper strip, and place on your wreath.
More Festive Christmas Treats
If you liked this recipe, be sure to try some of our other Christmas favorites, including:
How To Make A Christmas Candy Apple Wreath
Christmas Candy Apple Wreath
- 6 Signature Farms Granny Smith apples (small to medium sized)
- 1/2 cup melted caramel (see notes above)
- 1/2 cup Signature SELECT chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 squares white almond bark (white melting chocolate)
- Christmas-colored candies and sprinkles to taste
- 3 pkgs fruit-by-the-foot (cherry-flavored, see notes above)
- Slice apples into thin wedges and place on a plate or serving platter in a ring shape.
- Spoon melted caramel (or caramel topping) over apples until well covered. Try to avoid getting caramel in the middle of the ring.
- Place chocolate chips, corn syrup, and butter in a glass measuring cup and microwave for 1-2 minutes until just melted. Stir until smooth. Drizzle evenly over apples.
- Melt white almond bark in a small, glass bowl for 1-2 minutes or until melted. Spoon over apples making "swirling" designs (it doesn't need to be perfect).
- Sprinkle Christmas candies and sprinkles over the top.
- Form fruit-by-the-foot into a bow and place over the bottom of the apple ring, completing your beautiful Christmas candy apple wreath.
- Serve immediately.