Old Fashioned Chocolate Covered Cherries are a favorite of ours around Christmas. They make the sweetest gift for friends and family.
How Long Do Chocolate Covered Cherries Take to Set Up?
These Old Fashioned Chocolate Cherries are such a fun candy to make and give away at Christmastime. But it’s important to remember they take TWO WEEKS to set up completely. A little time intensive, but they are so worth the effort! True old fashioned chocolate cherries turn into a creamy smooth center once they’re set. So start prepping now; they are so delicious!
How Long Do Old Fashioned Chocolate Covered Cherries Last?
Another tip from us to you is this: hide these candies in a place where your family can’t find them and snitch until they are completely ready. A nook in the garage, on the high shelf in the kitchen, wherever. Just don’t forget where they are! A couple of Christmases went by where we forgot to retrieve our yummy treats. But it’s okay because these goodies will stay good and fresh until Valentine’s Day.
More Cherry Recipes
If you love cherries, try a few of our favorite treats using this juicy fruit.
- Chocolate Cherry Cake – this is a tasty pudding based cake.
- Microwave Cherry Crunch – easy to make and cooks in the microwave for a fast dessert.
- Cherry Vanilla Cookies – like chocolate chip, but better!
- Mini Cherry Cheesecakes – easy little bite sized cheesecakes.
- Chocolate Cake with Cherry Topping – chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting and cherry topping.
- Alligator Jaws – one of my favorite cherry recipes! A triangle shaped doughnut with cherry cream filling.
- Cherry Limeade Cupcakes – a tart yummy cupcake great for any occasion.
12 Days of Christmas Treats
Check out our list of 12 Days of Christmas Treats. You’ll find all of our holiday favorites including:
- Mom’s Christmas Caramels
- Peanut Clusters
- Cinnamon Almonds
- German Chocolate Fudge
- Peppermint Bark Brownies
How to Make Chocolate Covered Cherries
Old Fashioned Chocolate Covered Cherries
- Drain cherries and set on paper towel to dry
- In a medium bowl, combine butter and corn syrup until smooth. Stir in powdered sugar and knead to form a dough. Chill to stiffen if necessary.
- Wrap each cherry in about 1 tsp of dough. Chill until firm.
- In a microwave-safe bowl melt chocolate chips with oil for about 20 seconds at a time (stirring each time) until chocolate is just melted and completely smooth.
- Dip each cherry in by its stem and place on wax paper-lined sheets. Place in an air-tight container (like a large tupperware) and store in a cool place for TWO WEEKS (yes, it is a long time– but patience… I promise they taste best if you wait until the fondant softens)!