This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
This Breakfast Burrito Recipe is a great way to start the day! Loaded with all the best breakfast foods, they are a favorite for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Featured with this recipe
I was introduced to my first Breakfast Burrito at The Chile Pepper in Yuma, Arizona over 25 years ago. Since then, breakfast burritos have been on the monthly menu at our house, and not just for breakfast. We regularly have breakfast burritos for dinner. They are quick and easy to make on a busy night. Everyone loves them and customizes them to their tastes.
Breakfast Burritos Ingredients
The best breakfast burrito recipe is the one that you create! The possibilities are limitless! This recipe is for a very basic burrito: scrambled eggs, chopped ham, and cheese. Kids love them! Here are some more ideas for filling your breakfast burritos.
Fill it with protein
The cooked eggs in the breakfast burrito make it a high protein meal. But, you can give it more of a protein boost with the following additions:
- Breakfast sausage
- Black beans
- Refried beans
- Cheddar cheese
Add some carbs
For more carbs in your breakfast burrito, try adding one or more of the following:
- Hash browns
- Tater tots
- Diced potatoes (cooked)
- Rice (Sometimes we like to use a little leftover Mexican Rice)
Bring on the veggies!
For extra flavor and nutrition, add vegetables. Try one or all of the following:
- Sautéed mushrooms
- Green onions
- Green or Red Bell Pepper
- Jalapeño pepper
- Diced tomatoes
- Chopped cilantro
Spice it up!
Add some kick to your burrito by sprinkling on one or more of the following spices when cooking the scrambled eggs.
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Smoked paprika
- Red pepper flakes
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
The toppings on the outside of a breakfast burrito can be just as good as the filling on the inside.
- Fresh homemade salsa
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Hot sauce
- More shredded cheese: Cheddar, Colby Jack, Mexican blend, or Monterey Jack cheese.
How To Fold a Breakfast Burrito
Folding or rolling a burrito takes a little practice but once your get it down, it’s easy! Choose a nice big, pliable burrito-sized tortilla to make things easier on yourself.
- Place toppings in a line along the center of a large tortilla.
- Fold one end over the line of toppings and fold up the sides so all the toppings are covered
- Tightly pull the folded edge of the burrito toward you while tucking the tortilla under the toppings, careful not to trip the tortilla.
- Roll the filled part of the burrito over the rest of the tortilla while keeping the edges tucked under. Now you should have a perfectly rolled burrito.
Freezer-Friendly Breakfast Burritos
Add breakfast burritos to your meal prep day! With only a couple of extra steps, these easy breakfast burritos can be made ahead and frozen for later. Prepare the burritos according to the recipe. Wrap each burrito in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Place the wrapped burritos in a resealable plastic freezer bag or a plastic container with a lid.
No need to thaw before reheating! To reheat the frozen burrito in the microwave, remove the plastic wrap and wrap the burrito in a paper towel. Microwave for 4 to 6 minutes, turning once halfway through the cooking time. To reheat in the oven, remove the plastic wrap and place burrito on a baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
Make Them for a Crowd
If you are hosting a brunch, shower, or you have a house full of company, breakfast burritos are the way to go. Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Prepare the burritos according to the recipe. Wrap each burrito in foil and place in the oven until you are ready to serve.
Great for on the Go
This is another reason The Best Breakfast Burrito Recipe is so great. They are portable! Individual burritos can be wrapped in foil (make sure all ingredients are hot) and placed in an insulated cooler. They will stay warm for up to an hour. Make sure you choose the right size of cooler. The cooler will work best to keep the burritos warm if it is completely full. Think early morning soccer games, picnics at the park, teacher breakfasts at school, etc.
Tip: Try cooking your bacon in the air fryer! You will get perfectly cooked, crispy bacon every time.
Frequently Asked Questions
In general, a breakfast burrito contains scrambled eggs, a breakfast meat (like bacon, sausage or ham), hash browns, and shredded cheese. Additionally, vegetables like onions, tomatoes, peppers, are popular fillings in breakfast burritos.
If you eat your breakfast burrito right away it shouldn’t get soggy. However, if you are wanting to wrap and save to re-heat later, make sure your ingredients are room-temp before rolling them into the burrito. It’s ok if your cheese isn’t melted when you add it. It will melt when it is re-heated.
Great sides with breakfast burritos include orange slices, cut up melon, grapes, fruit juice, a smoothie, and/or muffins.
3-4 days if wrapped tightly in foil or plastic wrap. They will also last 1-2 months if frozen (see instructions on freezing above)
You can reheat them in the microwave wrapped in a damp paper towel for 4-6 minutes (turning once) or you can make in the oven for 30 minutes at 400-degrees.
READ NEXT: 33+ Breakfast Ideas
More Breakfast Ideas
How to Make a Breakfast Burrito
More Breakfast Burrito fillings (optional)
- Warm flour tortillas in oven or microwave. If using raw tortillas, prepare them according to package directions.
- Whisk eggs and milk together in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook preferred breakfast meat. If using diced ham, use a little oil or cooking spray in the pan before heating.Remove meat from the skillet and set aside. If using sausage or bacon, drain grease from the pan leaving a little in the pan for cooking the vegetables (optional) and the eggs.
- Sautée vegetables or hash browns in 1 tablespoon of cooking oil or remaining bacon or sausage grease (optional). Remove everything from the skillet and set aside.
- Add egg mixture and stir until eggs are scrambled and cooked through.
- Prepare your burritos by adding eggs, cheese, meat, and any other ingredients onto each tortilla.
- Roll each tortilla into a burrito and serve with toppings.
- Wrap each tortilla in plastic wrap or foil. Place in a resealable plastic freezer bag or plastic container with lid. Freeze up to 2 months.
- Reheat in microwave: Remove plastic wrap and wrap burrito in a paper towel. Cook for 4-6 minutes on high, turning once.
- Reheat in oven: Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
Love this recipe?
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.