Homemade Soft Pretzels are a super easy snack or appetizer. Buttery soft inside, golden and salty on the outside, you’ll love dipping these in your favorite sauces!
Homemade Soft Pretzels
Growing up, our dad always took us to college basketball games. We loved going and spending time with our dad and watching games, but the best part was him buying us a soft pretzel at halftime. I remember running up the stairs with a dollar in hand the moment the half-time buzzer rang. I couldn’t wait to get my hands on a warm, salty, soft pretzel and the hot jalapeño cheese sauce to dip it in. These days, we make our soft pretzels right in our own kitchens and they taste even better than the arena ones! My kids love soft pretzels in their lunch boxes or for snacks. They also make for a great appetizer on game days when you can’t make it out to the arena.
Soft Pretzel Toppings
- There are so many ways you can top soft pretzels. Coarse salt is always a classic.
- Switch things up by adding shredded cheese or parmesan cheese.
- We have also added Italian seasoning to the top and dip them in marinara.
- You can get creative and make them sweet with a little cinnamon and sugar over the top.
Favorite Dipping Sauces
- My favorite dipping sauce for soft pretzels is cheese sauce, especially spicy cheese sauce! Yum!
- Mustard or our delicious honey mustard sauce
- Marinara sauce
- Ranch dressing
- Try our Disneyland Jalapeno Cheese Stuffed Pretzels with any of these dipping sauces, too!
Tips for Fresh Soft Pretzels
- Soft pretzels are meant to be eaten FRESH but you can store them in a zipper-sealed plastic bag with the air pressed out as much as possible for a day or two.
- When re-heating, brush with a little water, and microwave for 10-15 seconds. You can also brush them with a little butter and bake at 350-degrees for 5-8 minutes.
- You can freeze soft pretzels after baking and after you have allowed them to cool for a while.
- If you are making pretzels fresh and just want to keep them warm without drying out there is a simple solution. Lightly wrap the pretzels in foil and place in a slow cooker, covered on “warm”.
- You can stack a good amount of pretzels in the slow cooker and the foil will help distribute the heat. Check them every once in a while and if they seem to be drying out, sprinkle a little water into the bottom of the slow cooker.
Make Soft Pretzel Bites
Honestly, fresh pretzel bites are just as easy (if not easier) than homemade soft pretzels. If you are terrible at twisting pretzels like I am, pretzel bites are a great way to do. All you have to do is cut up the “ropes” into 1-2″ pieces and continue with the recipe as usual. A big, flat slotted spoon like the ones you can use to pull food out of a deep fryer works great for dipping and removing the bites from the soda water.
How to Make Homemade Soft Pretzels
Homemade Soft Pretzels
- In a small bowl, mix together yeast and 2 Tbsp. sugar in 1 ½ cup warm water. Let stand until foamy and creamy (about 5-10 minutes). Add oil to yeast mixture and set aside.
- In a stand mixer bowl, or large bowl combine flour and salt.
- Pour yeast mixture into flour mixture and knead on low speed for 10 minutes. (If mixing by hand, knead dough for same amount of time.)
- Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turning to coat. cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- When dough has risen, turn out onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 8 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a rope and twist into a pretzel shape (or you can cut the rope into “bite size pieces to make pretzel bites).
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place foil over a baking sheet and spray with cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan, dissolve baking soda in 5 cups water and bring to a boil, stirring until soda is dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Dip each pretzel into the baking soda-water solution for 10-20 seconds. Using a slotted spatula, remove from water and place pretzels on baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, beat egg with 1 Tbsp. water until foamy. Brush egg mixture over the top of each pretzel and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 8-10 minutes.