This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
This easy Chocolate Buttercream Frosting recipe is sinfully delicious! It comes out perfectly smooth, creamy and fudge-y every time!
Easy Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
I have been trying to perfect an easy Chocolate Buttercream Frosting for years, and I have finally nailed it. I tried so many recipes and there was always something wrong. Either it was too gritty, too sweet, too runny, or not pipe-able – or sometimes a combination! Then I found some great tips from Veena Azmanov and made some adjustments (she is like the frosting queen and has so many helpful tips). It was PERFECT! So smooth, so creamy, and perfectly chocolate-y and fudge-y. It is the best chocolate buttercream frosting ever. I am never using another recipe again! I love using this frosting to frost these Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes, these Easy Filled Cupcakes, and our Cut Out Sugar Cookies!
The Secret Ingredient
Most buttercream frostings have the same main ingredients: butter, cocoa powder, milk, vanilla, powdered sugar (also known as confectioners’ sugar), and salt. The problem I encountered most was the frosting being too gritty. I would try to add more liquid to balance it out and then the frosting would be too runny. However, this easy Chocolate Buttercream Frosting uses melted chocolate instead of unsweetened cocoa powder. It makes all the difference! Plus, you can use different kinds of melted chocolate for different flavor profiles. I used semi-sweet for this recipe, but you can use dark, milk, or even white chocolate!
Tips on Making Frosting:
- Use an electric mixer, preferably a stand mixer. This will make your life so much easier and it will help you get the smooth, creamy consistency with little effort.
- For a smooth, dense creamy frosting that is easier to spread, use the paddle attachment. For a lighter, more airy frosting, use a whisk attachment.
- Use unsalted butter for the best results. If all you have is salted sweet cream butter, that will work just fine, you may just taste a tiny bit of the saltiness come through.
- For a richer, chocolate flavor use dark chocolate instead of semi-sweet. You can also add ½ teaspoon of espresso powder in with the vanilla extract for an even deeper flavor.
How to Store Chocolate Frosting
If you are planning to use your chocolate buttercream frosting in the next few days, you can keep it in the refrigerator in an airtight container. You can also keep it in the freezer for up to three months. To thaw from the fridge, place the container on the counter until it comes to room temperature. To thaw from the freezer, place the frosting in the fridge overnight and then place on the counter until it comes to room temperature.
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting on Cakes
Our favorite way to use this easy chocolate buttercream frosting is on cakes (and cupcakes. Use it to spruce up a simple box cake mix or use it on a cake that you have made from scratch. Use it between the layers of a two-layer cake and you won’t be sorry. It also spreads super smoothly so you can use it both as a filling and as the outer layer of your cake. Here are some of our favorite cake recipes where you can use this frosting:
More Easy Frosting Recipes
Looking for more easy and delicious frosting recipes? We have got you covered! We have all sorts of delicious frosting and icing recipes to choose from to help with all your confectionary needs:
Easy Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- stand mixer or hand mixer
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup baking chocolate or chocolate chips I used semi-sweet
- Place the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer. Whip on high speed for 1-2 minutes, or until the butter is light and fluffy. Then add whipping cream, salt, and vanilla. Mix until combined. Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time. Start at a low speed until the sugar is incorporated and then increase the speed as needed. Mix until fully combined and the mixture forms almost stiff peaks.
- Melt the chocolate by placing it in a microwave-safe dish and microwaving it in 30 second intervals until it is melted. Stir extremely well between each interval.
- Allow the chocolate to cool, but not so much that it hardens again. Add to the frosting mixture and stir until combined.
Did you try this recipe?
Share It on Instagram!
Mention @favoritefamilyrecipes or tag #favoritefamilyrecipes!
Looks amazing. Firm and perfect! I will save your recipe and give it a try. Planing on making cupcakes this weekend.
Made this frosting to put on top of a birthday cake I made, and it was incredible! Everyone really enjoyed it. Will be using this chocolate buttercream frosting recipe again!
Ok, I think I could eat this all by itself! It is so good!! Making some cupcakes this weekend & this will definitely be on top!
Best buttercream frosting!! It’s so creamy & great on just about anything!!
This is the creamiest frosting ever! It is the perfect combination of chocolate. So simple to frost with too!
Thank you so much for this! this chocolate buttercream frosting recipe is genius!