This Italian Beef Sandwich is tender and full of flavor. Tender beef, slow cooked in savory juices paired with spicy fixings make a savory melt in your mouth meal!
Italian Beef Sandwich
This Italian Beef Sandwich recipe is officially my new favorite way to cook a roast! So not only does it make a terrific sandwich, you can serve this beef as a main course and use the savory drippings to make gravy. This sandwich has a bit of a kick to it, with simple seasonings and smothered in pepper jack cheese. It’s a full meal on a bun, that’s for sure! Serve with some potato chips, fruit or a simple salad and let this sandwich be the star of the show.
How to Cook the Perfect Roast
There are many schools of thought when it comes to making the most tender, flavorful roast. Whether you’re a fan of the slow cooker, with this Slow Cooker Roast Beef, the instant pot for our Instant Pot Sunday Pot Roast or the oven, follow some simple steps to ensure tender, fall apart meat every time.
- Bring the meat to room temperature. Take it out of the fridge and let it relax a little before roasting.
- Start with the right pan or pot. A heavy duty roasting pan or a Dutch oven works best. It needs to be able to transfer from stove top to oven.
- Sear that meat! Using hot oil, sear all sides of your roast until there’s a nice brown crust. This step will ensure all those delicious juices stay locked in and give it a gorgeous color.
- For tantalizing fall-apart meat remember these two words: LOW and SLOW. Simmering at a lower heat for a longer period of time will give even tougher types of meat that tender texture your family will die over!
- Make sure your meat never roasts dry. Keep it covered in its natural juices and beef broth for maximum juicy tenderness.
Best Cuts of Meat for Roasting
Choosing a cut of meat can seem confusing, but it doesn’t have to be. With the low and slow method, most any cut can be roasted to tender perfection. But here are a few options to look for at the grocery store:
- Rump Roast
- Chuck Shoulder Pot Roast
- Rib Roast
- Ribeye Roast
- Tenderloin Roast
- Tri-Tip Roast (try this Rosemary Tri-Tip Roast!)
- Round Tip Roast
- Bottom Round Roast
Variations for this Sandwich
Not a huge fan of pepperocini peppers? Leave them off. Love red onions? Throw some on! The beauty of this recipe is you can add or take off any toppings you like. I usually swap out the pepper jack cheese for a more mild flavor for my kids, something like Monterrey jack or cheddar. Feel free to add onions, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, just about anything you like.
How to Make an Italian Beef Sandwich
Italian Beef Roast Sandwiches
- Preheat oven to 275. Place beef roast in a large roasting pan, then pour the 2 cans beef consomme over the top.
- Pour ½ the jar of pepperoncini peppers, including juice, over the top. Then sprinkle the dry italian dressing mix, minced garlic, and kosher salt over that.
- Cook for about 6 hours, roast should easily shred, if not cook a little longer.
- When the roast is done, shred the beef into the juice and pepperoncinis.
- Open the french rolls and place open face up on a cookie sheet. Layer one side of each roll with sliced pepper jack cheese. Place pan under the broiler on high until cheese starts to melt. Remove pan from oven and line each sandwich with shredded beef, using a large fork or slotted spoon.
- Ladle additonal beef broth into a small cup to use as au jus for dipping.