Cheesy Grilled Mexican Chicken and Rice is a flavorful way to prepare grilled chicken. The chicken is served over a bed of rice and topped with cheese.
This Cheesy Grilled Mexican Chicken and Rice was a HUGE hit at our house. We made a little extra so we could use the leftovers for tacos/quesadillas the next day (DELICIOUS and super easy dinner). We originally found this recipe from a great blog called “Plain Chicken” and made a few minor changes to fit our tastes. We were thrilled with how it turned out! We used our own Mexican Rice recipe and our own queso recipe because… well… we just love them.
If you are having a crazy night and just want to get things done extra fast, go ahead and use one of the quick packaged Mexican rice side-dishes that you can find at the store and/or a jar of your favorite queso. Sometimes ya just gotta do what ya gotta do to get dinner on the table in a snap! Believe me, I am in that situation all. the. time.
When grilling the chicken, try out this great tip from our friends at “Skip to my Lou” to keep your chicken from sticking to the grill. We did it and it worked GREAT, better than even using oil or anything else to keep it from sticking (and EASIER). We will always be using this tip from now on. Seriously, you have got to try it!
- Place chicken breasts in a Ziploc bag. Set aside about 1/2 c. of the marinade and pour the rest into the bag, covering the chicken.
- Press all the air out of the bag and seal tightly. Marinate for at least an hour (best if overnight in the refrigerator).
- While chicken is marinating, prepare rice.
- When chicken is finished marinating, remove from bag and discard marinade. Grill chicken, brushing on a little remaining marinade (the 1/2 c. that was set aside earlier) every few minutes, until done and internal temp reaches 165-degrees F.
- Heat queso/nacho cheese sauce according to directions on package/jar.
- Place each chicken breast on about 1/2 c. rice, top with queso, tomatoes, and cilantro.