This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
Do you know that Mexican Street Corn at the Cozy Cone in Disney’s California Adventure? Yeah, it’s a thing. And now you can have it in a cup! This is the perfect snack, appetizer, or side dish for any Mexican-inspired meal. It’s inspired by the delicious treat that’s served at the Cozy Cone, but you can make it at home in just 15 minutes with our easy 5-step recipe.
Mexican Street Corn in a Cup
Mexican street corn, or elote en vaso, hits all of the same notes as the original treat: sweet corn mixed with tangy lime and chili seasoning, all topped with a sprinkle of queso fresco and cilantro. But this version is made in individual casserole cups instead of on a skewer—so you can enjoy it anywhere!
By making this dish at home, you can control what goes into it. You can use reduced-fat mayo or even Greek yogurt instead of regular mayonnaise. And if you’re looking for something more nutritious than cheddar cheese, try cotija, parmesan, feta, or mozzarella instead!
This recipe makes it easy to customize your Mexican Street Corn by using any toppings you like best—and since they’re all available in the refrigerated section of most grocery stores, they’ll stay fresh until you’re ready to eat them! We know you can’t get enough of sweet, delicious corn.
Ingredients in Mexican Street Corn
Making this recipe as is, it’ll taste exactly like the Champion Corn Cups at the Cozy Cone. Here’s all you need for our recipe:
- Sugar – just a couple of tablespoons. Trust me it’s a game changer
- Frozen corn kernels- see below for tips if you want to use fresh corn on the cob for this recipe
- Mayonnaise – you can use a lower fat mayo for this recipe
- Sour cream – can also substitute plain Greek yogurt
- Lime salt – this is optional. But it tastes so good! If you can’t find lime salt, use fresh lime juice or stir in a crystalized lime packet
- Cotija cheese – queso fresco or Mexican crema works great too! You can also substitute parmesan cheese too.
- Chopped cilantro – add a tablespoon or more to taste
- Chili powder – also to taste
- Just a dusting of chile powder can also be used as a beautiful garnish.
- Garnish with one lime cut into wedges
Suggestions for the Best Mexican Corn in a Cup
A lot of you have written in about delicious additions and substitutions you’ve made, so we want to share those with our readers as well. Here are some more ideas to spoon on more flavor!
- Cotija cheese can sometimes be difficult to find, so queso fresco is a good alternative. Cotija crumbles nicely and has a nice, salty flavor. It is similar to Feta cheese, but is a little more dry and crumbly, which makes it great for sprinkling on your favorite Mexican dishes.
- If you want to go all-out and actually grill FRESH corn for this recipe, you absolutely can. You can use THIS recipe for Grilled Mexican Street Corn or use the kernels from fresh, perfect corn on the cob recipe.
- After grilling the corn, you can use a knife and cut the kernels into a large bowl and follow the rest of the recipe below as directed.
- If you want to add a little more substance to this corn mixture to serve as a side dish or even as a dip with chips, you can always add some additional ingredients. You can add grilled zucchini, sliced cherry tomatoes, avocado, chopped jalapeños and/or sautéed onion.
- Add a dash of your favorite hot sauce to give this street food a little more kick.
- Serve over greens and some carne asada for a delicious and hearty salad meal.
- Stir in Tajín and a hint of hickory, so it tastes like it would straight off the grill.
- Top each cup with a small pat of butter so it melts in the corn mixture.
We use 9 ounce plastic cups to get four servings from this recipe.
For some, corn is sweet enough on its own, so yes you can leave out the sugar. We just find the added sweetness balances out the spices beautifully.
We serve it at room temperature! It’s delicious!
Read Next: Easy Lunch Ideas
More Delicious Corn Recipes
Can’t get enough delicious corn in your life? Same here! We’ve gathered a few of our favorite recipes for you to try:
Special Disneyland Discount just for YOU
Want to try the Champion Corn Cups for yourself at Disney’s California Adventure? Our friends at Get Away Today are always ready to help make that happen. Check out their latest deals today. Don’t forget to use our EXCLUSIVE code FAVORITE for even more savings on your next trip!
Mexican Street Corn Cups
- Bring 1 cup of water to a boil and add sugar. When water is boiling, add corn and cover with lid. Simmer corn for 3-5 minutes or until corn is cooked though and tender.
- While corn in simmering, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, sriracha, Kosher salt, and lime salt in a small bowl.
- When corn is done cooking, drain well and return to pan. Allow to cool for about 3 minutes. Add sriracha-mayo mixture to the corn and until well combined.
- Divide corn into 4 individual cups.
- Top with queso fresco, cilantro, a dash of chili powder, and a lime wedge. Serve immediately.