Super Easy Yellow Rice complements just about any meal! You can make this on the stove top or in the rice cooker. So tasty!
Super Easy Yellow Rice
This yellow rice recipe is one of our favorite side dishes. It truly is “super easy” and it seriously goes with almost anything! You can keep it plain or spice it up to go with different meals. If you are in a rush and don’t have time to make it over the stove, you can also throw all the ingredients in a rice cooker and do it that way. My family loves this light and fluffy side dish and you will too!
What is Yellow Rice?
Yellow rice is basically white rice that is colored by the spices tumeric or saffron when prepared. This yellow rice recipe calls for tumeric but you could easily substitute saffron and achieve the same bright yellow color and slightly tangy flavor. Yellow rice is traditional in Spanish, Cuban, Indian and Indonesian dishes, plus many more. The flavor is mild enough that you can serve it with a million different recipes.
Yellow Rice Recipe Variations
The possibilities for this rice recipe are endless! Mix and match any of these to create the perfect easy yellow rice side-dish for your next family meal.
- Adding frozen peas or carrots to the rice while cooking is an easy way to add color, texture and added nutrients.
- Make this dish Cajun style by adding diced onion, red and/or green bell pepper and diced jalapeno while sauteing the rice. Sprinkle with Cajun seasoning before adding the chicken broth. After the rice is finished cooking you can stir in grilled smoked sausage, shrimp or chicken. Red or black beans make the meal even more hearty and delicious.
- For a more Indian flair, add 1/2 teaspoon of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, four cardamom pods and a handful of golden raisins before bringing to boil. So yummy!
- Add this dish to your Mexican feast by adding jalapeno and diced onion to the rice while sauteing and sprinkle with a little cumin before adding the broth.
More Yummy Rice Recipes
Rice is one of those easy to make, filling and oh so delicious side dishes. Try a few of our favorites:
- Easy Restaurant Style Mexican Rice
- Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice
- Ham Fried Rice
- Easy Garden Vegetable Rice
- How to Make Sushi Rice
- Lemon Pesto Rice
How to Make Super Easy Yellow Rice
- Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the rice and gently stir until rice begins to lightly brown.
- Add garlic, onion powder, and turmeric and stir until well mixed in.
- Slowly stir in chicken broth and raise heat to medium-high. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring the mix to a boil then turn the heat to low and cover the pan with a lid.
- Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat and add cilantro, and fluff with a fork. Serves 4.