Triple Chocolate Trifle is a decadent and easy dessert. You can’t go wrong with layers of brownies, whipped cream, caramel, and candy bars pieces!
Triple Chocolate Trifle
If you are a chocolate addict like me, you are going to absolutely love this dessert. This chocolate trifle has layers of chocolate brownies, chocolate pudding, whipped cream and candy bars (YUM), along with a few other tasty surprises. This dessert is so easy to make, but you’d never know that, thanks to its pretty layered appearance. This chocolate dessert is a winner every single time!
Perfect Party Dessert
If you are looking for something easy and absolutely delicious to take to your next BBQ/block party/potluck, this triple chocolate trifle, my friend, is it. You will be loved by all. The last time we made this chocolate trifle it was literally polished within minutes. I am not kidding, the bowl was practically licked clean.
The time before that, my husband and I ate the whole thing within just a day or two all by ourselves! Every time we opened the fridge we had a fork in our hand and we slowly devoured it one bite at a time (ok, we halved the recipe and my two young kids “helped” a little bit, but STILL). You will see for yourself, you just can’t stop eating it. This is a fair warning to make JUST ENOUGH or you will end up eating far more than what you want to.
What is a Trifle?
The first time I heard someone mention a trifle, I had no idea what she meant. I went home and looked it up and was immediately intrigued. A trifle is a layered dessert made up of cake, cream, and often fruit. This version has no fruit (only chocolate!), but you could easily add in some chopped cherries or something if you felt so inclined.
What is the Difference Between a Trifle and a Parfait?
At first glance, a chocolate trifle may seem very similar to a parfait. It is, but there are a few key differences.
- Parfaits are served in single servings – usually tall glasses – and are layered with custard, ice cream, yogurt or Bavarian cream.
- Trifles are usually served in a larger bowl for groups and typically have a cake, brownie, biscuits, or cookie layer.
However, that’s not to say you have to stick to the rules! This recipe can be made in parfait glasses instead of a trifle bowl, which is a fun party idea, too.
What is a Trifle Bowl?
The classic trifle bowl is glass or clear plastic. It almost looks like a cake stand with a bowl on top. The sides of the trifle are smooth and aren’t angled so that the dessert can fill the space evenly. When you aren’t making a triple chocolate trifle in them, you can also use them for a candy jar, fruit bowl, or even a place to display flower arrangments.
No-Bake Chocolate Trifle
If you want to make things REALLY easy on yourself, pick up some pre-prepared brownies from your bakery or grocery store. This will cut out having to heat up your oven to make brownies and will also make this dish even easier! For me, it was worth the couple extra bucks to save on some time, but that’s just me! You can also make your own whipping cream to put between the layers, but again, for the sake of ease, we went with the frozen whipped topping.
More Chocolate Desserts:
- Chocolate Cherry Cake
- Ridiculously Delicious Chocolate Cake
- Better Than Sex Cake
- Easy Flourless Chocolate Cake
- German Chocolate Fudge
How to Make the Triple Chocolate Trifle
- 19 oz brownie mix prepared (or you can buy pre-prepared brownies from the bakery to make it even easier)
- 7.8 oz chocolate instant pudding prepared
- 16 oz frozen whipped topping thawed
- 1/2 c. caramel topping or more to taste
- 3 Snickers candy bars
- 3 Chocolate covered English toffee bars ie. Skor or Heath bars
- In a large glass trifle dish or glass bowl, layer 1/2 of the brownie, crumbled or cubed; 1/2 of the pudding; 1/2 of the caramel topping (drizzled evenly over the top), 1 Snickers bars, chopped; 1 toffee bar, crushed; 1/2 of the whipped topping.
- Repeat layers in the same order.
- Save the last Snickers and toffee bar to crumble and sprinkle on top before serving.
- Refrigerate overnight.