This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
This Chocolate Trifle is a decadent and easy dessert. You can’t go wrong with layers of brownies, whipped cream, caramel, and candy bars pieces!
Triple Chocolate Trifle
If you’re a chocolate lover like me, you are going to absolutely love this triple chocolate trifle dessert. Layers of chocolate brownies, chocolate pudding, whipped cream and candy bars (YUM), along with a few other tasty surprises make this a chocolate lovers dream. This dessert is so easy to make, but packs such a wow factor. Thanks to its beautiful presentation, you can serve this at any gathering. This chocolate dessert is a winner every single time!
Perfect Party Dessert
If you are looking for something easy and absolutely delicious to take to your next BBQ/block party/potluck, this triple chocolate trifle, my friend, is it. You will be loved by all. The last time we made this chocolate trifle it was literally polished within minutes. There are never leftovers!
The time before that, my husband and I ate the whole thing within just a day or two all by ourselves! Every time we opened the fridge we had a fork in our hand and we slowly devoured it one bite at a time (ok, we halved the recipe and my two young kids “helped” a little bit, but STILL). You will see for yourself, you just can’t stop eating it. This is a fair warning to make JUST ENOUGH or you will end up eating far more than what you want to.
What is a Trifle?
The first time I heard someone mention a trifle, I had no idea what she meant. I went home and looked it up and was immediately intrigued. A trifle is a layered dessert made up of cake, cream, and often fruit. This version has no fruit (only chocolate!), but you could easily add in some chopped cherries for garnish if you felt so inclined.
Ingredients in Chocolate Trifle
Although there are dozens of variations to this easy chocolate trifle recipe, here’s what we start with. Bear in mind you can change up layers or ingredients based on your tastes or what you happen to have on hand.
- Prepared brownie mix – Bake a batch of brownies according to the package directions and then cut into bite size pieces. Or you can buy brownies from the bakery to make it even easier.
- Instant chocolate pudding mix – prepare the pudding using a stand mixer or whisk ingredients together in a bowl.
- Whipped topping- For this recipe keep it simple by using a tub of Cool Whip (about 16 ounces is perfect for this recipe) Or you can make your own whipped cream by mixing heavy whipping cream and a teaspoon vanilla.
- Caramel topping or fudge sauce
- Snickers candy bars
- Heath candy bars or toffee bits
What is the Difference Between a Trifle and a Parfait?
At first glance, a chocolate trifle may seem very similar to a parfait. It is, but there are a few key differences.
- Parfaits are served in single servings – usually tall glasses – and are layered with custard, ice cream, yogurt or Bavarian cream.
- Trifles are usually served in a larger bowl for groups and typically have a cake, brownie, biscuits, or cookie layer.
However, that’s not to say you have to stick to the rules! This recipe can be made in parfait glasses instead of a trifle bowl, which is a fun party idea, too.
What is a Trifle Bowl?
The classic trifle bowl is glass or clear plastic. It almost looks like a cake stand with a bowl on top. The sides of the trifle are smooth and aren’t angled so that the dessert can fill the space evenly. When you aren’t making a triple chocolate trifle in them, you can also use them for a candy jar, fruit bowl, or even a place to display flower arrangements.
More Chocolate Desserts
How to Make Chocolate Trifle
- 19 oz brownie mix prepared (or you can buy pre-prepared brownies from the bakery to make it even easier)
- 7.8 oz chocolate instant pudding prepared
- 16 oz frozen whipped topping thawed
- 1/2 c. caramel topping or more to taste
- 3 Snickers candy bars
- 3 Chocolate covered English toffee bars ie. Skor or Heath bars
- In a large glass trifle dish or glass bowl, layer ½ of the brownie, crumbled or cubed; ½ of the pudding; ½ of the caramel topping (drizzled evenly over the top), 1 Snickers bars, chopped; 1 toffee bar, crushed; ½ of the whipped topping.
- Repeat layers in the same order. Save the last Snickers and toffee bar to crumble and sprinkle on top before serving.
- Refrigerate overnight.
Did you try this recipe?
Share It on Instagram!
Mention @favoritefamilyrecipes or tag #favoritefamilyrecipes!
How can I make this dairy free, or is this even possible?
I love trifles! This is an awesome dessert!
You had me a triple chocolate 😂 Srsly this is so easy and the perfect holiday dessert. Thanks so much for sharing!
This was so chocolatey and delicious! A perfect sweet treat in my eyes 😉
Love that this looks super impressive but is really really easy to make and also great for making ahead of time. Thanks for sharing
This looks so delicious and tasty! My family is going to love this recipe! Can’t wait to give this a try!
This is dangerous. So easy and so good!
This is so perfect to put together especially for a last minute dessert. Loved it!
Give me a spoon! This is my kind of dessert! I’m making this for our next family gathering!
Using store bough brownies is perfect for making this a no bake treat! It’s so good!
This looks like a chocolate delight! I’m looking forward to trying it.
That looks amazing!!
Would this be acceptable for breakfast?! This looks incredible!!