Turn a basic cake mix into a decadent Better Than You-Know-What Cake! Chocolate cake filled with a sweet caramel filling and topped with toffee bars.
A Chocolate Cake by any other name would taste as sweet!
This Better Than (You Know What) Cake is always our go-to when we need to whip up a quick dessert. Of course, the traditional name of this cake is something different, but because this is Favorite “FAMILY” Recipes and because this is a family-friendly site, we will let you fill in the blank on your own. We have had many of our readers share with us what they call this dessert. This cake is also known as Pig Pickin’, Gooey Goblin, Holy Cow, Better Than Hockey, Johnny Depp, and Death by Chocolate Cake.
Start with a Chocolate Cake Mix
This really is always a hit with guests! It’s nothing fancy, just sinfully delicious dessert. The chocolate cake is simply a mix that is doctored up and turned into something decadent. We have made this several different ways, we have even had a reader report that it is delicious with a white or yellow cake mix in place of the chocolate mix. For delicious flavor, mix caramel topping with sweetened condensed milk to pour over the cake, but you can also just use caramel or just use sweetened condensed milk. We like “frosting” this cake with Cool Whip, but you can also make your own whipped topping if you prefer.
You can add any kind of chopped up candy bars on the top, but we love Skor candy bars or Heath candy bars the best. The crunchy toffee candy is so good! We have made this with chopped up Butterfinger Bars, chopped Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, and chopped Snickers Bars. It is also delicious with chopped Oreo cookies. All work great and are just as good, it just depends on the taste you are going for. Make it with your favorite candy to make it just right for YOU. You can also make it fun for kids by adding mini M&M’s or even Reese’s pieces.
How to Make Better Than (You Know What) Cake
Better Than (you know what) Cake
Bake cake according to package directions for a 9x13 inch pan. Cool for about 15 minutes.
Using the handle of a wooden spoon, poke holes into the cake.
In a small bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk and caramel topping. Optional - reserve some caramel topping to drizzle on top of the cake.
Slowly pour caramel mixture over the cake, letting it sink into the holes.
Let cake cool completely (I usually cover it and put it in the fridge until I'm ready to serve it).
Top cooled cake with whipped topping.
Decorate the top of the cake with chopped candy bars.
Optional - drizzle caramel topping and chocolate syrup over the cake with the candy bars.
Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
More Cake Recipes
If you love cake you are in the right place! Check out some of our favorite cake recipes that make the perfect dessert for any occasion.
- Strawberries and Cream Cake– Strawberries and Cream Cake is a great summer dessert, loaded with fresh strawberries in both the cake and frosting! Perfect for a family get together.
- Cinnamon Swirl Cake– This Cinnamon Swirl Cake is one of my favorite desserts because it’s quick, easy and so yummy! It’s like a cinnamon roll in a cake, end everyone loves it!
- Chocolate Chocolate Chip Nothing Bundt Cake Copycat– Our copycat version of Nothing Bundt Cake’s Chocolate Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake is a MUST TRY! It is one of our most popular recipes for a good reason.
- Carnival Cruise Warm Melting Cake– Have you tried the Carnival Cruise Line Warm Chocolate Melting Cake? If you’ve been on a Carnival Cruise, you know how amazing it is. If not, you can indulge in this decadent chocolate melting cake at home.
- Flourless Chocolate Cake– This Flourless Chocolate Cake is by far the easiest version I have ever made and it tastes just as good as more difficult recipes. It is light and decadent and has a rich chocolate flavor. And spread over the top is a silky smooth chocolate ganache.
- Chocolate Pudding Cake– This Chocolate Pudding Cake is probably the easiest chocolate cake recipe out there. There are only 4 ingredients!
- Orange Pineapple Cake– Orange Pineapple cake is a light, fruity cake with an island flair. You will love the delicious whipped creamy topping! Perfect for potlucks and parties!
- Coconut Cream Cake with Coconut Frosting– This Coconut Cream Cake is a coconut lovers dream! It is a coconut infused cake, with a rich and creamy coconut cream cheese frosting, sprinkled with even more toasted coconut.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What are Heath and Skor Candy Bars?
A: Heath and Skor Candy Bars are English toffee bars covered in milk chocolate. The Hershey Company makes the Heath Toffee bars and also sells Heath Toffee Bits which are great for baking in cookies and as a topping on this cake. Skor Candy Bars are also made by The Hershey Company and are marketed as a “buttery toffee enrobed in milk chocolate.” There are no nuts in either bar. You can find both the Heath Bar and the Skor Bar on amazon.com.
Q: Can this be made ahead?
A: Yes, it can be made a day or two before serving, but it does need to be refrigerated. Add the whipped topping and toppings just before serving.
Q: Can real whipped cream be used instead of Cool Whip?
A: Absolutely! However, don’t use the whipped cream that comes in a can and is squirted out. It melts quickly and becomes runny, and won’t work for this recipe. You can make your own whipped cream with heavy cream and sugar, and it will taste amazing!