Turn a basic cake mix into a decadent Better Than Sex Cake! Chocolate cake filled with a sweet caramel filling and topped with toffee bars.
Better Than Sex Cake
This Better Than Sex Cake is always our go-to when we need to whip up a quick dessert. Of course, the name of this cake is not exactly family friendly. In front of the kids it is called “Better Than You Know What Cake.” We have had many of our readers share with us what they call this dessert. This cake is also known as Pig Pickin’, Gooey Goblin, Holy Cow, Better Than Hockey, Robert Redford, and Death by Chocolate Cake. It is a rich, decadent, heavenly dessert… no matter what you call it!
It All Started with a Chocolate Cake Mix
You won’t believe that this sinfully delicious cake starts out with just a regular box mix. Once the cake is mixed and baked, that’s when the real magic starts. My favorite part of this recipe is poking the holes in the cake and pouring the caramel sauce over the top. It is so fun! Make sure the holes are evenly spaced and not too close together, otherwise your cake will end up soggy.
Better Than Sex Cake Variations
We have made this several different ways, we have even had a reader report that it is delicious with a white or yellow cake mix in place of the chocolate mix. You can add any kind of chopped up candy bars on the top, but we love Skor candy bars or Heath candy bars the best. The crunchy toffee candy is so good! We have made this with chopped up Butterfinger Bars, chopped Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, and chopped Snickers Bars. It is also delicious with chopped Oreo cookies. All work great and are just as good, it just depends on the taste you are going for. Make it with your favorite candy to make it just right for YOU. You can also make it fun for kids by adding mini M&M’s or even Reese’s pieces.
More Cake Recipes
If you love this Better Than Sex Cake, check out some of our favorite cake recipes!
- Strawberries and Cream Cake– Strawberries and Cream Cake is a great summer dessert, loaded with fresh strawberries in both the cake and frosting! Perfect for a family get together.
- Cinnamon Swirl Cake– This Cinnamon Swirl Cake is one of my favorite desserts because it’s quick, easy and so yummy! It’s like a cinnamon roll in a cake, end everyone loves it!
- Chocolate Chocolate Chip Nothing Bundt Cake Copycat– Our copycat version of Nothing Bundt Cake’s Chocolate Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake is a MUST TRY! It is one of our most popular recipes for a good reason.
- Carnival Cruise Warm Melting Cake– Have you tried the Carnival Cruise Line Warm Chocolate Melting Cake? If you’ve been on a Carnival Cruise, you know how amazing it is. If not, you can indulge in this decadent chocolate melting cake at home.
- Flourless Chocolate Cake– This Flourless Chocolate Cake is by far the easiest version I have ever made and it tastes just as good as more difficult recipes. It is light and decadent and has a rich chocolate flavor. And spread over the top is a silky smooth chocolate ganache.
- Chocolate Pudding Cake– This Chocolate Pudding Cake is probably the easiest chocolate cake recipe out there. There are only 4 ingredients!
- Orange Pineapple Cake– Orange Pineapple cake is a light, fruity cake with an island flair. You will love the delicious whipped creamy topping! Perfect for potlucks and parties!
- Coconut Cream Cake with Coconut Frosting– This Coconut Cream Cake is a coconut lovers dream! It is a coconut infused cake, with a rich and creamy coconut cream cheese frosting, sprinkled with even more toasted coconut.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What are Heath and Skor Candy Bars?
A: Heath and Skor Candy Bars are English toffee bars covered in milk chocolate. The Hershey Company makes the Heath Toffee bars and also sells Heath Toffee Bits which are great for baking in cookies and as a topping on this cake. Skor Candy Bars are also made by The Hershey Company and are marketed as a “buttery toffee enrobed in milk chocolate.” There are no nuts in either bar. You can find both the Heath Bar and the Skor Bar on amazon.com.
Q: Can this be made ahead?
A: Yes, it can be made a day or two before serving, but it does need to be refrigerated. Add the whipped topping and toppings just before serving.
Q: Can real whipped cream be used instead of Cool Whip?
A: Absolutely! However, don’t use the whipped cream that comes in a can and is squirted out. It melts quickly and becomes runny, and won’t work for this recipe. You can make your own whipped cream with heavy cream and sugar, and it will taste amazing!
How to Make Better Than Sex Cake
- Bake cake according to package directions for a 9x13 inch pan. Cool for about 15 minutes. Using the handle of a wooden spoon, poke holes into the cake.
- In a small bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk and caramel topping. Optional - reserve some caramel topping to drizzle on top of the cake. Slowly pour caramel mixture over the cake, letting it sink into the holes.
- Let cake cool completely (I usually cover it and put it in the fridge until I'm ready to serve it). Top cooled cake with whipped topping.
- Decorate the top of the cake with chopped candy bars. Optional - drizzle caramel topping and chocolate syrup over the cake with the candy bars. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.