Has anyone noticed how much candy bars have gone up in price lately!? I remember being able to get candy bars for a quarter- and it wasn’t that long ago. These are a great solution and you get a lot for your buck. Not to mention they are delicious and easy to make! My husband likes these better than the actual candy bar.
- 1/2 c. white Karo (corn) syrup
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 10 large marshmallows (exactly 10 or the consistency is off)
- 2 c. coconut - its better if you chop it more finely
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- roasted almonds
- 1 bag Ghiradelli milk chocolate chips (they are worth the extra money)
- In a heavy sauce pan (over medium on the stove) heat syrup, marshmallows, and salt until marshmallows are melted. Continue to stir over heat for an additional minute. Remove from stove and add coconut and vanilla. Stir well and transfer to a bowl to cool in the fridge. The mixture needs to get cool enough that it can be rolled into balls.
- In the meantime, melt the chocolate chips. I like to do this by putting them in a metal bowl and placing the bowl over a pot of boiling water. Stir until chocolate is melted and smooth. Roll the coconut mixture into small balls and press an almond into the top. Dip each one in chocolate then let cool on a chilled marble slap or on wax paper over a chilled cookie sheet.
- For Homemade Mounds: omit the almond and use dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips.