This Honey BBQ Chicken is sure to be a hit at your next barbecue! There is something about making your own sauce that makes your food taste so much better!
This Honey BBQ Chicken is so great for family barbecues! And the homemade honey BBQ sauce is amazing! So much better than anything that you can buy at the store. Maybe because there is less preservatives than the bottled stuff, I’m not really sure. Our homemade Honey BBQ sauce is sweet and tangy and just delicious, we smothered it all over our chicken.
I am kind of a perfectionist when it comes to grilled chicken. Chicken can so easily be underdone or become overdone with grilling. So many times I will go do a cookout or BBQ and I will see people cutting into the chicken to check the doneness. Please, I am begging you.. DON’T DO THAT! You are ruining your perfectly good chicken, people! There is NO SHAME in using a digital meat thermometer to make sure you chicken is cooked perfectly.
There is no good reason to slice up your chicken in order to check doneness. Don’t leave it to chance either. The last thing you want to do is pull the chicken off the grill and find out it isn’t done and then have to put it back on in pieces to continue cooking it. Get it to 165-degrees internal temperature, pull it off the grill, and let it rest a few minutes. That is ALL it takes to have perfect chicken.
I prefer the digital-read thermometers because they are the most accurate and they will give you a quick read. They are super cheap on Amazon and you can usually find them for under $10. It is SO worth the small investment! I can’t emphasize this enough!
Ok.. time to move on. For this recipe (or any recipe using honey), we always like getting fresh, local honey. Our family suffers from seasonal allergies and when we buy local honey, we find that our allergies seem to subside. There are so many great health benefits to buying local honey. Plus, local honey just tastes better than store-bought. You just can’t beat it.
We made this chicken with the Pesto Potatoes that I posted a few weeks ago and it was a delicious dinner! It would also be perfect cut up over salad.
Honey BBQ Sauce:
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, warm the vegetable oil. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the remaining sauce ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer about 15 minutes. Set aside. Pour 1/2 of the sauce in a small bowl for basting the chicken.
Grilling the Chicken:
- I like to pound the chicken a little before I grill it so it cooks evenly. Grill the chicken on medium high heat, you want to cook it 7 to 10 minutes on each side. It tastes best if you only turn it once.
- Baste generously with the small bowl of sauce every 3 or 4 minutes. Serve with the remaining sauce on the side for dipping.
- Outdoor Barbecue Grill
Try some of these other recipes for your next big BBQ as well.. you can’t go wrong with any of them!
- Blue Ribbon Fall Off the Bone Ribs – These ribs are AWARD WINNING. So delicious! Such an easy technique for fall-off-the-bone ribs and the honey BBQ sauce from the recipe above puts them over the top!
- Traditional Potato Salad – Our favorite side dish for family BBQs. Honestly, we can’t have a BBQ without our Mom’s famous potato salad. It is a MUST! Try it and you will see.
- Traditional Macaroni Salad – This is another HUGE hit at BBQs and potlucks. So versatile and always one of the first dishes to be devoured. Goes great with the honey BBQ chicken above!
- Need more ideas? Check out ALL of our BBQ/Grilling recipes HERE!