These Saucy BBQ Hot Dogs are simmered in BBQ sauce before they are grilled. It gives the hot dogs an incredible sweet and savory flavor.
Saucy BBQ Hot Dogs
The other day a thought came to me — we should simmer hot dogs in BBQ sauce BEFORE grilling them rather than putting BBQ sauce on afterwards. We simmer lil’ smokies in BBQ sauce and they are pretty much just little hot dogs, so why not?! We thought we would give it a try to see how they would turn out… the verdict… DELICIOUS! Why didn’t I think of this before?
Start with the Best Dogs
There are a lot of opinions out there when it comes to which hot dogs to try. In some circles, hot dogs get a bad rap. But if you buy high quality hot dogs, and stick with the kinds of meat you really like, you’ll be happy with the outcome.
For anyone feeling nervous about the contents of their hot dog, stick with brands that tout “All Beef”. We like Nathan’s or Hebrew National. What kinds have worked best for you?
Round Out Your BBQ Meal
Want to round out the meal that puts these BBQ Hot Dogs on center stage? Try some of these great sides.
- Crock Pot BBQ Baked Beans are sweet, savory, beefy, hearty and perfect for your next potluck or BBQ.
- The BEST Potato Salad Recipe EVER will knock your socks off. You can’t find a better side to add to your barbecue meal.
- Authentic Hawaiian Macaroni Salad is a no-frills, creamy macaroni salad you will definitely want to try.
- Best BBQ Side Dishes for your Summer Cookout is a roundup of even more of these great sides.
How To Make Saucy BBQ Hot Dogs
- 8 beef hot dogs we like Nathan's or Hebrew National
- 8 hot dog buns
- your favorite hot dog toppings
- Combine sauce ingredients in a medium-sized sauce pot. When sauce is combined and sugar is dissolved (don't quite bring to a boil) remove from heat and set aside.
- Add hot dogs to slow cooker and pour sauce over. Stir to evenly distribute the sauce. Cook on high heat for about 2 hours (don't discard the sauce-- you may want to pour extra over your hot dogs before eating).
- Remove hot dogs from slow cooker and grill on medium-high heat for about 2 minutes or so on each side or until desired doneness (I like mine just to have light grill marks).
- Add hot dogs to hot dog buns and top with desired toppings and extra sauce.
- Crock Pot Slow Cooker