Jared and I love this General Tso’s Chicken recipe! This is actually the first meal Jared ever made me. He made it for me back when we were dating (how lucky am I to have a guy that can actually cook?) With a recipe as good and easy as this, you won’t ever have to (or want to) order-out for Chinese food again!
|Jared’s General Tso’s Chicken|| || |
- 1 Lb. chicken breasts (cut into 1" pieces)
- 1-2 c. flour (for dredging)
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- ¼ c. sugar
- ¼ c. "lite" soy sauce
- ¼ c. unsweetened pineapple juice
- ¼ c. white distilled vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger, finely grated
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch, mixed with 3 Tbsp. water
- 4 green onions, sliced
- Dredge chicken in flour and fry in oil over medium heat (in a wok or a skillet) until golden brown and crispy. Drain excess oil. Sprinkle cayenne over the chicken and keep warm on low heat. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine sauce ingredients (sugar, soy sauce, pineapple juice, vinegar, garlic, and ginger) and heat gently. When sauce is smooth and sugar has dissolved, SLOWLY add cornstarch mixture and stir constantly until sauce has thickened to desired thickness.
- Pour sauce in the wok and stir to coat chicken. Stir in green onion and hot red pepper flakes (optional). Remove from heat and serve with fried rice.