A Breakfast Burrito is a great way to start the day! Loaded with all the best breakfast foods, they are a favorite for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
I was introduced to my first Breakfast Burrito at The Chile Pepper in Yuma, Arizona over 25 years ago. Since then, breakfast burritos have been on the monthly menu at our house, and not just for breakfast. We regularly have breakfast burritos for dinner. They are quick and easy to make on a busy night. Everyone loves them and customizes them to their tastes.
The Best Breakfast Burrito Recipe
The Best Breakfast Burrito Recipe is the one that you create! The possibilities are limitless! This recipe is for a very basic burrito – scrambled eggs, chopped ham, and cheese. Kids love them! You can switch out the ham for sausage or bacon. For more carbs in your breakfast burrito, try adding rice, refried beans, hash browns, or tater tots. For extra flavor and nutrition, add vegetables. Sautéed mushrooms, onions, zucchini, peppers, tomatoes, and chopped cilantro all taste great in a breakfast burrito! The toppings on the outside of a breakfast burrito can be just as good as the filling on the inside. Try our Best Guacamole Ever recipe or one of our Fresh Homemade Salsa recipe to top your burrito.
Freezer Breakfast Burritos
With only a couple of extra steps, breakfast burritos can be made ahead and frozen for later. Prepare the burritos according to the recipe. Wrap each burrito in plastic wrap or foil. Place the wrapped burritos in a resealable plastic freezer bag or a plastic container with a lid. To reheat the burrito in the microwave, remove the plastic wrap and wrap the burrito in a paper towel. Microwave for 4 to 6 minutes, turning once halfway through the cooking time. To reheat in the oven, remove the plastic wrap and place burrito on a baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
Breakfast Burritos for a Crowd
If you are hosting a brunch, shower, or you have a house full of company, breakfast burritos are the way to go. Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Prepare the burritos according to the recipe. Wrap each burrito in foil and place in the oven until you are ready to serve
Breakfast Burritos on the Go
This is another reason Breakfast Burritos are so great. They are portable! Individual burritos can be wrapped in foil (make sure all ingredients are hot) and placed in an insulated cooler. They will stay warm for up to an hour. Make sure you choose the right size of cooler. The cooler will work best to keep the burritos warm if it is completely full. Think early morning soccer games, picnics at the park, teacher breakfasts at school, etc.
How to Make a Breakfast Burrito
More Breakfast Burrito fillings (optional)
- Warm flour tortillas in oven or microwave. If using raw tortillas, prepare them according to package directions.
- Whisk eggs and milk together in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook preferred breakfast meat. If using diced ham, use a little oil or cooking spray in the pan before heating.
- Remove meat from the skillet and set aside. If using sausage or bacon, drain grease from the pan leaving a little in the pan for cooking the vegetables (optional) and the eggs.
- Sautée vegetables in 1 tablespoon of cooking oil or remaining bacon or sausage grease. (optional)
- Add eggs and milk mixture.
- When eggs start to set, add breakfast meat.
- Continue stirring until eggs are cooked through.
- Remove from heat and top with cheese.
- Divide egg, meat, and cheese filling between the four tortillas.
- Add additional ingredients - cooked potatoes, rice, and or beans. Make sure they are heated through.
- Roll each tortilla into a burrito.
- Serve with toppings.