Avocado Egg Rolls are a perfect baked appetizer that are full of ripe avocado, black beans and spices that satisfy snack cravings but are really healthy for you!
Avocado Egg Rolls
These Avocado Egg Rolls are crispy on the outside, creamy on the inside and are such a delightful snack idea! I first had a version of avocado egg rolls at a restaurant years ago and was hooked! The only problem was, I knew they were deep fried and probably high in calories. I could have eaten the entire plate if not for the results on my waistline. So I set about making a version that was lower in calories but didn’t take away from the flavor. Each roll is only 168 calories, compared to fried egg rolls that can be 300 to 400 calories a piece! Perfect for when you are wanting to be good but need something yummy to bring to a potluck or party.
Suggestions for Healthy Baked Egg Rolls
- So how do you make crispy egg rolls without frying? Bake them in the oven! Using egg roll wrappers, wrap the ingredients inside, then place seam side down on a cookie sheet that has been coated with cooking spray.
- You could brush sesame oil, olive oil or even some cooking spray over the top of the egg rolls to get that shine after baking.
- Each egg roll is loaded with avocado, black beans, and corn and baked nice and toasty.
- If you can’t find egg roll wrappers at the grocery store, you could substitute with wonton wrappers! They’re smaller, so they won’t fit as much filling, but they’re perfect bite size appetizers. Kids love them!
- You could add shredded pork or chicken to these egg rolls as well and turn them into a meal.
- These egg rolls can be baked ahead of time and frozen! Keep them in a freezer safe bag or container for up to two months. To reheat, just pop a few rolls in the microwave until heated through.
Don’t Forget the Dip!
We use our Cilantro Verde Sauce to dip these avocado egg rolls in. It’s our go to dip for nearly everything Mexican! Use the tangy, slightly spicy sauce can as a salad dressing, or drizzled over burritos, tacos, enchiladas, just about anything! But it’s especially delicious with these egg rolls. Spicy, slightly sweet flavors of the sauce pair perfectly with the creamy avocado, buttery black beans and that crunchy shell. It’s so yummy and also low in calories, so you can feel good about serving this anytime!
More Fiesta Meal Ideas
Make these egg rolls as an appetizer to any of these main dishes. Don’t forget to make a big batch of the dressing!
- Cheesy Grilled Mexican Chicken and Rice
- Shredded Beef Taquitos
- Easy Chicken Tacos
- Steak Fajita Bowls
- Grilled Carne Asada Burritos
- Avocado Quesadillas
How to Make Avocado Egg Rolls
Cilantro Verde Dip
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium size bowl, combine the black beans, corn, and diced tomatoes then stir in the taco seasoning, paprika, and chili powder until thoroughly mixed.
- Cut each avocado into 8 equal long sections, by quartering, then slicing each quarter in half.
- Lay out an egg roll wrapper, add two slices of avocado, then a couple of spoonfuls of the black bean and corn mixture. Roll up and seal with a little bit of water on the tip of the egg roll wrapper. Repeat.
- Place egg rolls,sealed side down, on a baking sheet lined with cooking spray. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes, then turn over and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Makes 12 egg rolls- 168 calories each.
- Serve with Cilantro Verde Dip- recipe HERE