This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
Easy Chicken Tacos are a simple and flavorful way to get dinner on the table quickly! Tender chicken, taco spices and topped with garden fresh ingredients, this is the perfect summertime supper!
Easy Chicken Tacos
Chicken Tacos are our family’s go-to meal when we’re craving something filing and hearty, but just don’t have a lot of time to spend cooking in the kitchen. We find these especially delicious during the spring and summer months, when we can top them with fresh cilantro and tomatoes from our garden. After a busy day of soccer games, baseball practices and swim lessons, these easy tacos really hit the spot! Serve them with a side of our Easy Restaurant Style Mexican Rice and our Restaurant Style Refried Beans, and some chips and salsa and you have a Mexican feast in no time!
Suggestions and Substitutions for Easy Chicken Tacos
- To get more of that smoky flavor, marinate your chicken in some lime juice, a little vegetable oil and taco seasoning, then throw it on the outdoor grill. Slice up and serve in the tacos. So delicious!
- Or cook chicken on the stove top as directed in the recipe card below. The tender bite size pieces of chicken cook up in no time and absorb all those glorious taco seasonings as it cooks.
- If you don’t have fresh limes on hand you can use lime juice from a bottle. Fresh is always a little bit better, but regular lime juice works just as well!
- Feel free to swap out flour tortillas for soft corn tortillas or even hard taco shells.
- You could add sliced steak to make these Easy Summer Steak Tacos!
- Be creative with toppings; the sky’s the limit! We love fresh diced tomatoes, cilantro, shredded lettuce, cheese, avocado, sour cream or a dollop of our Best Guacamole Recipe.
More Simple Mexican Dishes
Got Mexican food on the brain now? Don’t worry– we have enough Mexican recipes for the ultimate feast! Try a few of our favorites:
- Mexican Chili in a Tostada Bowl
- Cafe Rio Cilantro Lime Rice and Black Beans
- Mexican Lasagna
- Easy Shrimp Tacos
- Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas
Easy Chicken Tacos
- 6 flour tortillas (soft taco size)
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken cubed
- 4 green onions chopped
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning or 1 packet
- 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro or to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ – 1/2 cup water
- juice of 1 lime or to taste
Chicken Taco Toppings
- Sauté chicken in a medium skillet in a little oil for a few minutes until chicken becomes white all around.
- Add green onion, taco seasoning, cilantro, and salt & pepper to chicken.
- Add water and simmer (covered) for an extra 8-10 minutes or so until chicken is cooked through. If the water is cooking out too fast and chicken seems dry, just add a more water a little at a time.
- Add lime to chicken just before serving.
- Add chicken to tortillas and top with lettuce, tomato, cheese, avocado, cilantro, salsa, sour cream, or any other taco topping you like!
Did you try this recipe?
Share It on Instagram!
Mention @favoritefamilyrecipes or tag #favoritefamilyrecipes!
This has become a weeknight favorite at our house! So easy, delicious and a meal the whole family loves. Leftovers always taste great, too!
This chicken taco recipe is bursting with flavor! and incredibly simple to make! I’m going to send my buddies this!
This is such an easy dinner! We loved it and had the left overs too!
So easy and quick to make! Thank you!
I’m so glad I found this recipe. It was a big hit at our house. It will definitely be showing up on or table time and again.
These chicken tacos are a regular at our house!
Chicken tacos are my favorite! I like to make extra for dinner so I can have them for lunch all week!
Tasted this one from the great chef herself! I love the lime. It makes the taco special. Thanks.
Tried this tonight with my picky-eater husband. Sucess! I used the juices from the chicken mix and added some oil to saute some mushrooms. . .yum. Thanks! Love you blog!
this looks absolutely delicious!!!