This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
Easy Chicken Tacos are a simple and flavorful way to get dinner on the table quickly! Tender chicken, taco spices, and topped with garden fresh ingredients, this is the perfect summertime supper!
Featured with this recipe
Chicken Tacos are our family’s go-to meal when we’re craving something filing and hearty, but just don’t have a lot of time to spend cooking in the kitchen. We find these especially delicious during the spring and summer months when we can top them with fresh cilantro and tomatoes from our garden. After a busy day of soccer games, baseball practices, and swim lessons, these easy tacos really hit the spot! Serve them with a side of our Easy Restaurant Style Mexican Rice and our Restaurant Style Refried Beans, and some chips and salsa, and you have a Mexican feast in no time!
- Flour tortillas – soft taco size
- Chicken – cubed
- Green onions – chopped
- Taco seasoning
- Fresh cilantro
- Salt and pepper
- Juice of a lime
Suggestions and Substitutions for Easy Chicken Tacos
- To get more of that smoky flavor, marinate your chicken in some lime juice, a little vegetable oil, and taco seasoning, then throw it on the outdoor grill. Slice up and serve in the tacos. So delicious!
- Or cook chicken on the stove top as directed in the recipe card below. The tender bite size pieces of chicken cook up in no time and absorb all of those glorious taco seasonings as it cooks.
- If you don’t have fresh limes on hand, you can use lime juice from a bottle. Fresh is always a little bit better, but regular lime juice works just as well!
- Feel free to swap out flour tortillas for soft corn tortillas or even hard taco shells.
- You could add sliced steak to make these Easy Summer Steak Tacos!
- Be creative with toppings; the sky’s the limit! We love fresh diced tomatoes, cilantro, shredded lettuce, cheese, avocado, sour cream, or a dollop of our Best Guacamole Recipe.
Frequently Asked Questions
The sky is the limit when it comes to taco toppings, but here are some ideas! Shredded cheddar cheese, lettuce, pico de gallo, hot sauce, cilantro, avocado, and sour cream.
Most taco seasonings contain a combination of paprika, oregano, cumin, and chili powder, onion powder, and garlic powder. So while they aren’t all the exact same, they all follow a pretty similar pattern. These taco seasonings are great for your taco recipes or for seasoning ground beef or a chicken breast.
Read More:75+ Best Mexican Recipes
More Simple Mexican Dishes
Got Mexican food on the brain now? Don’t worry, we have enough Mexican recipes for the ultimate feast! Try a few of our favorites:
- Mexican Chili in a Tostada Bowl
- Cafe Rio Cilantro Lime Rice and Black Beans
- Mexican Lasagna
- Easy Shrimp Tacos
- Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas
How to Make Easy Chicken Tacos
Easy Chicken Tacos
- Sauté chicken in a medium skillet in a little oil for a few minutes until chicken becomes white all around.
- Add green onion, taco seasoning, cilantro, and salt & pepper to chicken.
- Add water and simmer (covered) for an extra 8-10 minutes or so until chicken is cooked through. If the water is cooking out too fast and chicken seems dry, just add a more water a little at a time.
- Add lime to chicken just before serving.
- Add chicken to tortillas and top with lettuce, tomato, cheese, avocado, cilantro, salsa, sour cream, or any other taco topping you like!
Love this recipe?
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.