Steak Fajita Bowls have all the flavors of your favorite fajitas in a tasty rice bowl. Tender marinated steak and sauteed veggies over a bed of Spanish rice makes an easy and delicious dinner!
Steak Fajita Bowls
These Steak Fajita Bowls are perfect for busy weeknights when you’re craving something warm and filling, yet are short on time.They’re ridiculously easy to make and are so delicious! Just pair some marinated steak with all your favorite fajita toppings and serve over a bed of Spanish rice and you have a nourishing, hearty meal that comes together in minutes! Plus it’s so versatile that everyone can add whatever toppings they like, so even kids love these.
Easy Marinated Steak
The first thing to do when creating these delicious fajita bowls is prepare the meat. This can be done earlier in the day so you don’t even need to worry about it. Then it’s perfectly flavored for when you’re ready to assemble the rest of the ingredients. Here’s all you need for a perfect steak marinade:
- About a pound of steak. I use top round and it’s tender and flavorful. But because you’re slicing it up, you can use cheaper cuts of meat and it works great! Try skirt steak, flank steak or sirloin, whatever you have on hand or whatever is on sale that week.
- Season the meat with a tablespoon of fajita seasoning (save the rest of the packet for later)
- Use a can of green chilies, which will add just the right amount of heat and flavor to the steak.
- Toss in a clove or two of fresh garlic. You don’t even need to dice them. Just give them a smash with a knife and let the flavors do their thing!
- Add a bit of beef broth (about half a cup) and mix all the ingredients together.
- Place all the ingredients and the steak in a Ziploc bag and refrigerate for at least an hour. I usually throw this together in the morning and let it marinate all day until it’s time to cook.
Suggestions for Fajita Rice Bowls
- Don’t drain all the liquid out of the marinade before cooking the meat; you’ll want some of that delicious flavor to soak in during the cooking process.
- Feel free to use any color of peppers you like! I love using red and green peppers along with thin slices of onion, but you could use yellow, orange, just any colors you want! These are so colorful and flavorful.
- I like to use black beans for these fajita bowls but you can use any kind of canned beans you have on hand: pinto, kidney, navy bean, anything you like.
- You can use Spanish rice (I like the Knorr Fiesta brand but any kind will work) or you can make your own Easy Restaurant Style Mexican Rice.
- Top with sliced avocado, shredded cheese, sour cream, guacamole, diced tomatoes or salsa.
More Delicious Mexican Dishes
These steak rice bowls are an entire meal in one handy dish, but you can pair them with one or more of these yummy recipes for a true Mexican spread. Try some of our favorites:
- Mexican Chicken Casserole
- Cheesy Grilled Mexican Chicken and Rice
- Mexican Chili in a Tostada Bowl
- Mexican Lasagna
- Grilled Carne Asada Burritos
How to Make Steak Fajita Bowls
- 1 Lb. steak sliced (top round steak works great)
- 1 can diced green chilies
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 c. beef broth
- 1 pkg fajita seasoning divided
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 pkg Spanish rice I used the Knorr Fiesta sides
- 14 oz beans drained and rinsed (pinto or black.. it's your choice)
- 4 Flour tortilla shells
- avocado optional
- shredded cheese optional
- Slice steak into thin strips. Place steak strips, chilies, garlic, beef broth, and 1 Tbsp. fajita seasoning in a large plastic Ziploc bag. Press all the air out and let marinade for at least 1 hour. Heat vegetable oil in large skillet.
- Drain some of the marinade (you don't need to drain it all out, you still want most of the chilies in with the steak) and add steak to skillet. Stir-fry until brown and cooked through. Stir in remaining fajita mix. Add onion and peppers. Prepare Spanish rice according to package directions. Add beans and stir together with rice until hot. Prepare bowls by placing a tortilla inside of the bowl. Add rice/bean mixture to bowl. Add steak and peppers/onions. Top with sliced avocado and/or cheese.