These light and fluffy breadsticks couldn’t be easier! They are made with frozen rolls, then rolled in butter and garlic and sprinkled with cheese before baking.
Light and Fluffy Breadsticks
Tell me something that goes better with a good soup like Lasagna Soup, Tomato Basil Soup, or Vegetable Beef Soup than soft, light and fluffy breadsticks. I’ll wait. The center of these breadsticks are light and airy, they will soak up that flavorful soup and melt in your mouth. YUM. Be warned though, these breadsticks are so soft and delicious, you can’t stop at just one (or two… or three)!
Breadsticks Made with Frozen Rolls (Rhodes Rolls)
These light and fluffy breadsticks are our favorite “cheater” recipe for busy days. You just thaw, season, and bake. They really couldn’t be easier and they come out perfectly every time. No one will even know (or care) that they are made from frozen dough.
Only 4 Easy Ingredients
For this recipe, all you need is a few simple ingredients that are probably in your kitchen right now:
- Frozen Rolls (Rhodes Dinner Rolls) – Any kind of frozen roll will work, it doesn’t have to be Rhodes brand.
- Melted Butter – We like to use salted sweet cream butter
- Garlic – Fresh garlic, garlic paste, minced garlic, or even garlic powder will work! Use what you have on hand. We don’t recommend using garlic salt because the parmesan cheese and butter are both salty enough. Using garlic salt will make the breadsticks much too salty.
- Parmesan Cheese – Fresh, grated parmesan is wonderful for this recipe but the dry, powdered Parmesan also works great.
Olive Garden Breadsticks
To make these more like Olive Garden breadsticks, simply roll the dough out a little longer and space them further apart. You may need to cut down on the amount of your breadsticks to allow enough space for rising. This way you get that golden brown color around the entire breadstick, like Olive Garden. Bake per the instructions below, then of course, serve with Zuppa Toscana, Pasta e Fagioli, or Fettucini Alfredo
Have a little more time on your hands and prefer to make your breadsticks from scratch? No problem! We have the perfect recipe for you! Our homemade breadsticks recipe is an excellent recipe that uses basic pantry ingredients like flour, yeast, sugar, water, and salt. It’s a copycat recipe from my days working at a restaurant in Utah called “Pizza Factory” and it is my favorite from-scratch recipe.
Frozen Rolls From Scratch
You can also make your own homemade frozen rolls instead of using frozen store-bought rolls. If you only intend to use them for breadsticks in the future, you can roll them out into a more “breadstick” shape before freezing. I like to keep them rolled up into a ball or “roll” shape for freezing because then I have the option to use them either as rolls or breadsticks when thawed. Use our homemade dinner rolls recipe and simply freeze on baking sheet lined with parchment paper before allowing the dough to rise (find more detailed instructions on how to do this by clicking the link). After they are frozen, put them in a Zip-top freezer bag or airtight container and freeze for up to 6 months.
Most of the time we like to keep things simple when trying to get dinner on the table. There is no need to over season or complicate these light and fluffy breadsticks. They are already bursting with flavor after rolling or brushing them with the butter/garlic mixture. You can add other ingredients like parsley, Italian seasoning, or some fancy seasoned garlic butter but it just isn’t necessary. With this recipe, less is more. Keep it simple.
Dipping Sauces for Light and Fluffy Breadsticks
Are you a breadstick purist or do you like dipping your soft breadsticks into a dipping sauce? For me, I am a dipper. If I am serving my breadsticks with salads or a bowl of pasta, I like to dip them in a bright, tomato-based marinara-type sauce. I also love dipping them in ranch dressing (I know, I know… it’s just SO GOOD)! Here are some of our favorite homemade dipping sauces for breadsticks:
What Dishes Go Well with Breadsticks?
Breadsticks are one of those bread recipes that can be served as a side dish to just about anything, especially your favorite Italian-style dishes. You can never go wrong with serving breadsticks alongside soups, salads, or pastas. Here are a few of our favorite breadstick-worthy recipes:
Light and Fluffy Breadsticks
- Thaw rolls as directed on package.
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F. Combine melted butter and garlic and pour evenly over 11 x 17 jelly roll pan. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the butter. Roll each piece of dough into a rope about 5-6 inches long. Place each on pan, turning over to coat each side.
- Arrange breadsticks in 2 vertical rows of 12. Sprinkle more parmesan cheese over the top if desired. Allow bread to rise 30 minutes.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes or until breadsticks are golden brown and cooked through. If you find that the tops of the breadsticks are cooking faster than the middle, lightly place foil over the top and continue to bake, checking every minute until done.