This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
This Hearty Beef Stew is chock full of tender steak, potatoes and veggies simmering in a rich, savory broth. Filling and warm, this is comfort food at its finest!
Hearty Beef Stew
This Hearty Beef Stew is the meal I think of first and foremost when I think of comfort food. This is my mom’s recipe and it is darn near perfection. She would make a big batch and take along on fall camping trips. It heats up so well. Melt-in-your-mouth steak simmering in a rich broth combined with chunks of potatoes and hearty vegetables make this one of those warm meals that make you want to linger around the dinner table. We serve it with some simple apple slices and warm bread or biscuits. It’s the perfect dinner to serve to a crowd or just a simple weeknight supper.
Tips for Perfect Beef Stew
- Sear or braise the meat in hot oil until all sides are nice and brown. This locks in the moisture of the meat so it doesn’t dry out.
- Instead of steak, you can use your leftover Sunday roast! It tastes delicious and is a perfect way to use up leftovers.
- Make a big batch of stew ahead of time and freeze. Store it in a freezer safe bowl or Ziploc bags, and it’ll keep for several weeks.
- This stew can be made on the stove top as directed in the recipe card below or throw all the ingredients in the slow cooker and let it do all the work. Your house will smell delicious!
- Peas and corn cook up really quick so don’t add them until about twenty minutes before serving.
- Feel free to throw in any veggies you like! Mushrooms, pea pods, green beans, carrots, red peppers, just about anything you have in your fridge you can chop up and add to this soup.
- For a thicker stew, add a tablespoon of cornstarch to a little bit of cold beef broth or water, then stir it into the soup. If it’s too thick, add some more beef broth.
What to Serve with Beef Stew
Try some of these delicious recipes to serve alongside this hearty beef stew for a show-stopping meal.
- Honey Whole Wheat Bread
- Brazilian Cheese Bread
- Irish Soda Bread
- Homemade Crescent Rolls
- Best Dinner Rolls from Scratch
More Warm Soups and Stew Recipes
- Thick and Beefy Danish Goulash
- Crock Pot Vegetable Soup
- Mulligatawny Soup
- Texas Chili
- Broccoli Cheese Soup
Hearty Beef Stew
- 2 Lbs steak cubed
- Tabasco sauce to taste
- Worcestershire sauce to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium onion chopped or diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 c. beef broth
- 2 large potatoes cleaned and cut into large cubes
- 4 carrots peeled and cut
- 1/2 c. frozen corn
- 1/2 c. frozen peas
- 1/2 c. tomato juice or to taste
- cornstarch optional
- Braise beef in oil until just brown on all sides (turning only once if possible).
- Add Tabasco, Worcestershire, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add onions and saute until onions become clear.
- Transfer to a *large pot and add beef broth, potatoes and carrots.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for about an hour (or until potatoes are cooked through) if you want the beef to be really tender, simmer for even longer.
- About 20 minutes before serving, add corn, peas and tomato sauce and simmer until ready to serve. If you like your stew nice and thick, add a about 1 Tbsp. of cornstarch to some beef broth, stir until smooth, then stir into the stew.
- Add beef broth to thin out and cornstarch to thicken. Add salt and pepper to taste before serving.
- *You can also throw everything (except potatoes, corn & peas) in a crock pot and cook on low for 6-8 hours — add potatoes, corn & peas the last 2-3 hours so they don’t get too mushy.