This Texas Chili is a hearty beef chili that will warm you up (and fill you up) on cold days. The large chunks of beef are melt-in-your-mouth tender!
I got this Texas Chili recipe from my Uncle Ralph. He made it for a family reunion years ago and we all loved it! It is a hearty beef chili that will warm you up and fill you up. If you are feeding a crowd, you can serve this chili over rice to make it stretch a little further.
If your family doesn’t like spicy chili, you can leave out the red pepper sauce and only use 3 tablespoons of chili powder instead of 4. If they do like spice, feel free to add more of the red pepper sauce or add crushed red pepper flakes. We like the flavor of Frank’s Red Hot Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce in this chili. The cornmeal is a great addition and adds a rich texture and substance to the chili.
We garnished our chili with sour cream and cheese, but you could also add chopped white or red onions. This recipe can be doubled (or tripled) depending on how big of a group you are serving. A single recipe makes 6-8 servings. This chili is delicious with our Cake-y Cornbread.
Heat oil in large skillet. Add beef and brown on all sides.
Drain well and put beef into a large stock pot.
Add garlic, chili powder, salt, oregano, cumin, red chili paste, and beef broth.
Stir well and bring to a boil.
Cover and simmer for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add cornmeal and beans. Simmer uncovered for 30 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
Garnish with sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese.
More Great Chili Recipes!
- “Cheater” Chili – Another award winner. Honestly, I am interested in putting these two recipes head-to-head to see which one will win.
- Crock Pot White Chicken Chili – Also a favorite chili around here. It is made in the slow cooker and is perfect for a cold day.
- Creamy Italian Sausage Chili – This chili is creamy and hearty with a bit of a spicy kick.
- Cafe Zupas Chicken Enchilada Chili – A copycat recipe from Cafe Zupas. This chili is loaded with shredded chicken, black beans, and corn.
- Pork Chili Verde – This is an award winning chili recipe. It features tender pork in a tasty, savory green chili sauce.