This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
Texas Chili is a hearty beef chili that will warm you up (and fill you up) on cold days. The large chunks of beef are melt-in-your-mouth tender! This is an easy recipe to use when you are trying to feed a crowd.
I got this Texas Chili recipe from my Uncle Ralph. He made it for a family reunion years ago and we all loved it!
This is a hearty beef chili with chunks of tenderly cooked stew meat. The spices and flavor profile are incredible—this chili will warm you from head to toe, and fill you right up. It’s so good!
Make it More or Less Spicy
I love recipes like this one because you can easily adjust the spice level to make this a family-friendly dish. If your family doesn’t like spicy chili, you can leave out the red pepper sauce and only use 3 tablespoons of chili powder instead of 4.
On the other hand, if they do like spice, feel free to add more of the red pepper sauce. You can also add crushed red pepper flakes to Texas chili for an extra kick. We like the flavor of Frank’s Red Hot Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce in this chili.
How to Serve Texas Chili
We garnished our chili with sour cream and cheese, but you could also add chopped white or red onions. This chili is also delicious with our Cake-y Cornbread.
This recipe can be doubled (or tripled) depending on how big of a group you are serving. A single recipe makes 6-8 servings. So, if you are serving a crowd, pour it over rice to stretch out your budget even more.
More Chili Recipes:
- “Cheater” Chili – Another award winner. Honestly, I am interested in putting these two recipes head-to-head to see which one will win.
- Crock Pot White Chicken Chili – Also a favorite chili around here. It is made in the slow cooker and is perfect for a cold day.
- Creamy Italian Sausage Chili – This chili is creamy and hearty with a bit of a spicy kick.
- Cafe Zupas Chicken Enchilada Chili – A copycat recipe from Cafe Zupas. This chili is loaded with shredded chicken, black beans, and corn.
- Pork Chili Verde – This is an award-winning chili recipe. It features tender pork in a tasty, savory green chili sauce.
How to Make Texas Chili
- Heat oil in large skillet. Add beef and brown on all sides.
- Drain well and put beef into a large stock pot.
- Add garlic, chili powder, salt, oregano, cumin, red chili paste, and beef broth.
- Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cornmeal and beans. Simmer uncovered for 30 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese.