Mulligatawny Soup is a creamy, curry soup with Indian origins. Chicken, rice, golden raisins, carrots, and apples are flavored with curry and thyme.
What is Mulligatawny Soup?
Ingredients in Mulligatawny Soup
If you love the flavor of curry powder, this soup is for you. Curry powder is a blend of spices including turmeric, ginger, coriander, cumin, mustard seed, and can include other spices to give it more heat. The main spice is turmeric, which gives it the bright yellow color.
How to Make Mulligatawny Soup
- 1/2 c. butter
- 1/2 c. chopped onion
- 2 large carrots shredded
- 3 tsp. flour
- 3 tsp. curry powder
- 8 cups 2 large cartons chicken broth
- 1 apple peeled and diced
- 2 chicken breasts cubed very small and cooked
- 3/4 c. white rice
- 3/4 c. golden raisins
- salt and pepper to taste
- two pinches dried thyme
- 1 c. heavy cream or half and half if you want it a little lighter
- Saute the onion and shredded carrots in the butter in a large pot. Add flour and curry and cook five more minutes. Stir in the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer for about 30 minutes. While simmering, cook the chicken pieces in a fry pan. Add chicken, apple, rice, raisins, thyme, salt, and pepper to the soup.
- Simmer for 20 more minutes until the rice is done. When there is about 2 minutes left, stir in the cream.