Creamy Vegetable Soup is a simple and delicious meal your family will love! Packed with broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, potatoes and tons of flavor.
Creamy Vegetable Soup
This Creamy Vegetable Soup is one of the first recipes we ever posted on our blog! This classic recipe is one of our very favorites, and has been a staple in our family for years. Loaded with tender vegetables in a tasty creamy broth, this soup will warm you from the inside and leave you feeling comforted and satisfied on a chilly day. Serve with some warm biscuits, our Homemade Crescent Rolls or a slice of our Honey Whole Wheat Bread. YUM!
Additions and Substitutions for this Recipe
- To make this soup completely vegetarian, substitute the chicken broth for vegetable broth.
- I love using Velveeta Mexican style cheese for an extra kick of flavor and because it melts so smoothly. But you could melt any other kind of cheese in the soup if you wish.
- Keep the trifecta of onions, celery and carrots, but feel free to add any other veggies to this soup that you like! Peas, green beans, okra or asparagus are terrific substitutions if you want to bulk up on veggies in this dish.
- I like using good ol’ Idaho Russet potatoes in this soup because they’re so soft and tender. But red potatoes or Yukon golds would be a great option too.
- Make sure to dice your veggies in roughly the same size so they can all cook evenly.
- This recipe is versatile enough to add chicken or sausage or any meat you like.
More Savory Soup and Chowder Recipes
Soup recipes are hearty, filling, easy and always a good option for a chilly evening. Try a few of our favorites:
- Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Chicken Cheddar Chowder
- Best Clam Chowder Recipe
- Creamy Butternut Squash Soup
- Crock Pot Beef Stew
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Ham and Bean Soup
- Mom’s Bacon and Corn Chowder
How to Make Creamy Vegetable Soup
- In large pot, melt margarine over medium high heat.
- Add celery and onion; cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth; bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes; cook over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add carrots and broccoli and simmer for another 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in corn and chiles; return to boiling.
- Dissolve gravy mix in milk; stir into boiling mixture.
- Add cheese; cook and stir over low heat.
- When cheese is melted, it is ready to serve.