I am not kidding, these potatoes really are famous in our family. They are by far the best Dutch oven potatoes I have ever had. I like them the best with a little ranch dressing.. (I figure they are so high in calories.. what’s a few more?)
If you need help getting started with Dutch Oven cooking, click HERE for a basic rundown of what you will need.
- 1 pkg. bacon, cut into fourths
- 10-12 large potatoes (scrubbed, rinsed, and sliced into circles)
- Seasoning Salt ("Spike" or "Johnny's" seasoning salt work great!)
- 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 can cream of chicken
- 3-4 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- When the Dutch oven is good and hot add the bacon and heat until fully cooked. Drain about half of the bacon grease then add the potatoes. stir in about 3 Tbsp. of the seasoning salt (or to taste) and garlic powder. Cover and cook about 20-25 minutes stirring occasionally (or until potatoes are no longer crunchy, but do NOT overcook). Add cream of chicken. When the cream of chicken is evenly distributed and hot, add cheese. When cheese is melted, remove from heat and serve.
*** These taste the VERY best when served with ranch dressing on the side, use 1c. mayo, 1 c. buttermilk and 1 pkg. hidden valley ranch dressing mix (original.. not buttermilk) or see homemade ranch dressing recipe HERE.