This Chex Mix is SINFULLY delicious! We took this to our Super Bowl party and it was completely polished before half-time. It is one of those treats that people take a little handful to start off with, then keep sneaking back for more because they can’t stay away. We have substituted coconut oil for the butter/margarine and it is SO good. Toss in some almond joy bites and you have a little Hawaiian twist on this snack. Someone also suggested using the mini Rolos, which would be awesome too. You can really add any kind of candy… add your favorite to make it perfect just for YOU! Other fun add-ins could be M&Ms, Cadbury Mini Eggs (for Easter), Reese’s Pieces, chopped up Twix bars… really… endless possibilities here.
You can also use a different kind of Chex if that is all you have on hand or if you need to stick with one kind or another for health/diet purposes. You can use wheat Chex, Rice, Corn… etc… but personally, I am a chocolate girl and I am happy sticking with the chocolate but if you must use an different kind of Chex, be my guest!
This would be a perfect little treat to package up and give as gifts for Valentine’s Day or Christmas… or any occasion really! If you like chocolatey, caramel-y, peanut buttery goodness.. this recipe is for you!
|Better Than [you know what] Chex Mix|| |
- 8 cups Chocolate Chex cereal
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, MINI size
- 1 cup MINIATURE marshmallows
- ½ cup caramel bits (found by the chocolate chips in the baking aisle -- or chop up regular caramels)
- 1 Tbsp heavy cream
- ½ cup MILK chocolate baking chips (add more if you are a chocolate lover like me)
- ½ cup vanilla (white) chocolate baking chips
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt
- Into large microwavable bowl, measure cereal; set aside. Line cookie sheet with waxed paper or foil.
- In 2-cup microwavable measuring cup, microwave brown sugar, butter and corn syrup uncovered on High 1 to 2 minutes, stirring after 1 minute, until melted and smooth. Stir in baking soda until dissolved. Pour caramel mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Microwave on High 3 minutes, stirring every minute. Spread on cookie sheet. Cool 10 minutes. Break into bite-sized pieces.
- Make sure Chex mixture is cool to the touch (so candy doesn't melt.) Evenly sprinkle mini peanut butter cups candy and miniature marshmallows over Chex mixture.
- In small microwavable bowl, microwave caramel baking bits and cream uncovered on High about 1 minute or until chips can be stirred smooth. Use a spoon or fork to drizzle over snack. Microwave the milk chocolate baking chips next, starting with 20-seconds and stirring, then at 20 second intervals until the mixture is completely smooth (microwave temps vary, so watch the chocolate and stir frequently until it's of drizzling consistency). Drizzle over the snack mixture. Then microwave the vanilla (white) baking chips in 20-second intervals, stirring until smooth, and drizzle that over the snack mixture. (Note: The vanilla and milk chocolate chips should not need cream added.) Quickly sprinkle coarse salt over all while candy drizzles are still wet.
- Refrigerate until set. Break apart and store in tightly covered container.