This is an easy guide that will teach you how to make pancakes from scratch. Pancakes are a delicious breakfast staple that anyone can master!
Making Pancakes from Scratch
I know you might be thinking, “Why would I make pancakes from scratch when I could just buy a mix at the store?” But, let me tell you – these pancakes are WAY better than any store-bought mix. You probably already have all the ingredients in your kitchen right now and it comes together in five minutes or less. Plus, making pancakes from scratch is actually a lot cheaper than using a mix. Basically what I am trying to say is – you need to add this recipe to your collection!
Tips for Getting Fluffy Pancakes from Scratch Every Time
- When you combine the dry and wet ingredients, don’t over mix! It is normal to have some clumps in the batter. If you over mix the batter, it will knock all the air out and your pancakes will be flatter than….well, a pancake!
- Make sure to grease your griddle with cooking spray or butter to prevent sticking.
- Use a measuring cup to portion the pancake batter onto the griddle to ensure uniform-sized pancakes.
Our Favorite Pancake Toppings
Now that you’ve made your pancakes from scratch – they need toppings! Anyone can put butter and maple syrup on a pancake, but have you tried these other toppings?
- Strawberries and Whipped Cream
- Cookie Butter and Bananas
- Peanut Butter and Jelly
- Honey and Chocolate Chips
- Fried Egg and Bacon Bits
Tell us your favorite pancake topping in the comments below!
Other Breakfast Recipes You Will Love
Now that you’ve mastered making pancakes from scratch, time to learn some other breakfast recipes! Try some of our other favorite morning meals:
- How to Make Hash Browns the RIGHT Way
- Make Ahead Breakfast Parfaits
- Easy Biscuits and Gravy
- Easy Breakfast Casserole
- Breakfast Quesadillas
How to Make Pancakes from Scratch
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Heat a griddle to medium heat and spray with cooking spray.
- Pour 1/4 cup of pancake mixture onto the griddle.
- Once the sides start to dry and the top is bubbling, flip the pancake using a large spatula.
- Cook until both sides of the pancake are golden brown and the middle is cooked through (you can check by inserting a toothpick into the middle of the pancake - if it comes out dry it is done).
- Remove from heat and serve with your favorite pancake topping.