Instant Pot Chicken Cordon Bleu can be made in just a few short minutes. The chicken comes out perfectly tender and juicy every time. A family favorite!
Instant Pot Chicken Cordon Bleu
We made this Instant Pot Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe recently as an experiment and it turned out way better than we expected! Many times when we make chicken cordon bleu, we will bake them in the oven. More often than not, they come out a little on the dry side. With the Instant Pot, they were all perfectly cooked! Not dry at all! The kids gobbled this up and we all had seconds. It’s a real show stopper when serving it to friends and family, but easy enough to whip up on a busy weeknight just for your crew.
Suggestions for this Instant Pot Cordon Bleu Recipe
- The breading on the chicken doesn’t get super crispy, but the breading is so light it doesn’t really matter that much. To make it more crisp, you can brown the chicken cordon bleu on each side using the saute function and a little oil or butter. This adds a little more time to the process but it helps it to have a little more of the crispy texture. You can reduce the cooking time by a minute or two if you do this as well.
- My favorite thing about making chicken cordon bleu in the Instant Pot is that there is no need for toothpicks! Because the chicken is pressure-cooked, you can pack the chicken in the pot nice and tight. You don’t need to leave room in between each roll. Just pack as many as you can in there and they will hold together on their own.
- You should be able to make this recipe in any kind of pressure cooker. No adjustments will need to be made. You will just cook on high pressure for the same amount of time as mentioned in the recipe.
- To make Instant Pot Chicken Cordon Bleu gluten free, you will just need to make a couple easy adjustments. First, you will need gluten-free panko breadcrumbs. Next, just make sure that the chicken broth that you are using is gluten-free. Sometimes you will find that broths have gluten in them so just be sure to double-check. That’s it! Such an easy recipe to make gluten-free!
- Making a gravy to go over the chicken cordon bleu is SO easy and you don’t have to dirty another pan. Use the liquid in the bottom of the Instant Pot after cooking, switch to the saute function, combine a little more liquid if needed with cornstarch and whisk until thickened. Add salt and pepper and you’re good to go!
Instant Pot Recipe Favorites
We’ve found complete joy in using our Instant Pot! Try a few of our favorite recipes and see how easy it is to get a nourishing, delicious dinner on the table in no time.
- Sunday Pot Roast (Instant Pot Recipe)
- Instant Pot Stuffed Peppers
- Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Easy Instant Pot Pork Chops
- Instant Pot Chicken and Rice with Basil Cream Sauce
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Cordon Bleu
- In a shallow dish, combine Panko, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Pound chicken breast to 1/2" thickness (try to not pound too hard and break through the meat)
- Place 2 slices of ham over each chicken breast.
- Place slice of Swiss cheese over the ham and roll chicken up tightly.
- Dip each chicken roll in butter, then roll in breadcrumbs. Place in Instant Pot, seam side down (the more snug the better).
- If you don't want your chicken sitting in broth, you may want to use the included steamer rack so the chicken isn't sitting on the bottom of the pot.
- Pour remaining butter over the chicken and add chicken broth in the cracks between the chicken breasts.
- Place lid on Instant Pot and move tab to "sealing". Press "manual" and set time to 8 minutes, on high pressure. Allow to naturally release for 5 minutes before moving tab to "venting".
- Carefully remove chicken from Instant Pot and serve.
- 6-Quart Instant Pot Pressure Cooker (See Instant Pot Note Below)