This Southwestern Chicken Casserole is an easy weeknight dinner everyone loves. Layers of chicken, rice, and beans are topped with tomatoes and sour cream.
This southwestern chicken casserole an easy weeknight casserole that your whole family will love. Even our pickiest eaters love it! We tried it the other night with Doritos crumbled over the top and it was a huge hit!
Southwestern Chicken Casserole
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 c. red enchilada sauce (mild or medium)
- 1 7 oz. can diced green chiles
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 2 c. rice uncooked (calrose rice works great if you want to have layers that are more intact-- you can pat the layers down and it stays together better-- but long grain white rice works great too)
- 1 Tbsp. cilantro chopped
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup undiluted
- 1 c. sour cream
- 1 1/2 c. salsa (mild or medium)
- 1 1/2 c. cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 1/2 c. pepper jack cheese shredded
- 1 can corn drained
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- optional garnish: green onion, tomatoes, sour cream, crushed corn chips, or anything else you like!
In crock pot combine chicken breasts, enchilada sauce, green chiles, cumin and pepper. Cook on high for 4 hours. Take chicken breasts out of sauce and shred.
Prepare rice according to package directions with cilantro and lime juice. In bowl, combine soups, sour cream and salsa.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray bottom of 9x13 pan with cooking spray. Spread 1/2 c. of soup mixture in bottom of pan.
Layer in the following order: 1/2 of the rice (press down firmly in pan), 1 1/2 c. cheddar cheese, 1/2 of shredded chicken mixture, 1/2 can corn, 1/2 can black beans, 1/2 of soup mixture, remaining rice (press down firmly in pan), remaining shredded chicken, remaining corn, remaining black beans, remaining soup mixture.
Top with 1 1/2 c. pepper jack cheese. Bake for 35-40 minutes until heated through. Garnish as desired.