I LOVE Frozen hot chocolate. In my high school years I loved going to Dairy Queen and getting these with my friends. So many fond memories. In my opinion this tastes best in either a frosted mug or a styrofoam cup. If you want to make it more like a frozen hot chocolate shake, add more milk and a scoop of chocolate ice cream… yum!
- 5-6 oz chocolate (we like Marabou from Ikea and/or a few different kinds of Ghiradelli)
- 2 tsp. hot chocolate powder mix (I like to use Stephens-brand hot chocolate mix)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 c. milk
- 3 c. ice (to make it a little more rich, use frozen milk cubes)
- *Whipped cream (see below or store-bought)
- Chocolate shavings
- 1 c. heavy cream, very cold
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 Tbsp light corn syrup
- Chop the chocolate into small pieces and melt in a double boiler or a small saucepan over med-low heat. Stir occasionally until melted. Add the hot chocolate mix and sugar, stirring constantly until blended. Remove from heat, slowly add half a cup of the milk, and stir until smooth. Cool to room temperature. In a blender, place the remaining cup of milk, the chocolate mixture, and the ice. Blend on high speed until smooth. Pour into cup or mug and top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
- Combine the cream and vanilla and mix well. With an electric mixer with a whisk attachment, start whipping the cream on medium speed. Add the corn syrup slowly while beating. Whip until the cream holds soft peaks.