I am pretty sure there is no way to make split pea soup look appetizing. Sorry. I tried my best. Credit for this soup goes to my mother-in-law.. she made this for us a few weeks ago and was kind enough to share her recipe. I love all the different veggies in it. It is very healthy and full of flavor! Thanks Carolyn!
**This makes quite a lot.. if you don’t have a large crock pot, I would suggest halving the recipe.
|Crock Pot Split Pea Soup|| |
- 1 pkg (about 2½ c. or 1 lb.), dried split peas
- 9 c. chicken broth (if you like it thick, use 8 c.)
- 4 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 3 medium potatoes, diced small
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 c. diced ham
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. Kosher Salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Combine all ingredients in a LARGE Crock Pot and cook on low for about 7-8 hours (or on high for about 4-5 hours). Remove bay leaf before serving. Serve with sliced french bread.
- *This makes a LOT (serves 8-10) so if you don't have a large crockpot you may consider halving this recipe.